What happens when I buy a movie from itunes?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by poblack, Oct 25, 2013.

1. poblack macrumors regular

I have an apple TV. If I buy a HD movie from my Apple TV, is the movie stored within the box, my MacBook, or in the cloud somewhere? Do I need to have storage in iCloud?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is stored "in the cloud somewhere" :D and it doesn't count towards your iCloud storage. You can also download it to your Mac.

3. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

In light of the recent removal of movies without notice, it is highly recommended you download them to a PC for backup purposes.

4. poblack thread starter macrumors regular

Removal of movies? Wouldn't Apple just restore them since they were bought on iTunes?

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

6. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Note that Apple is working to restore that content to past purchasers, but ultimately, it's up to Disney to allow it.

The way the iTunes Store works for movies is that you buy a digital copy, which you may stream/download from the cloud as many times as you like (to authorized devices), as long as that content remains in iTunes. For this very reason, Apple recommends making a backup of any digital copies you buy, in case that title ever gets removed from iTunes by the owner/distributor.