What happens when I buy a serial online?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevehp, Sep 17, 2007.

1. stevehp macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My trial of iWork '08. I really like it a lot. I even used Numbers the other day and I'm really impressed!

Anyways, if I choose the option to have a serial number automatically emailed to me, what happens when I upgrade to leopard...Ie - I won't have the disks with me...Can I de-authorize the software before the switch, download the trial, and put the serial back in again?

Thanks a lot!

2. stevehp thread starter macrumors 6502

And can I get the student discount if I buy online?

3. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I don't believe that the installer performs any sort of authorization (other than checking for a valid serial number). In other words, you'll be able to install on your new OS with your existing serial number.

You can get academic pricing if you go to the online store for education.

4. thegrifman macrumors regular

That's exactly what you'd do. I bought iLife '08 which comes with an iWork '08 trial disk so if you did that you've also got that option. Otherwise, yeah just redownload the trial, install and enter your serial.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When you upgrade to Leopard, do you really plan on reinstalling all of your software?

6. Diaresi macrumors regular

I know I will be :)

Maybe it's because I come from the Windows world but the thought of upgrading an OS just makes me shiver - much prefer to fully start over :p