What happens when I find a Cloud hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Nov 29, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

Do I have to enter a username and password...or...? Haven't come across one yet!

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

You'll be requested to enter your mobile number so they can verify your account. This will only happen the first time you access the network.

3. dammitjanet@gma macrumors member

and then you'll wish you had edge connectivity, or even GPRS because every cloud nework I have found with one exception (Edinburgh rail station) has been slow as turtle poop.

4. page3 macrumors 6502

I used my first Cloud hotspot the other day (Costa coffee). It didn't ask for anything, just connected automatically :)

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I did the same thing with BT Openzone yesterday. No password, just connected. I thought BT Openzone was an expensive subscription only service. I'm a bit baffled.

Anyone have the lowdown on this?

6. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I tried a BT Openzone connection during the first week of owning my iPhone and was automatically directed to a login screen :(

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So far no luck for me with The Cloud.

However their support team have been very good and are trying to get me connected. But whenever I use my iPhone in a TheCloud hotspot I am unable to connect…

Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon. :)

8. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Same here - certainly didn't allow me just to connect.

9. lordgaino macrumors member

thank god someone else thinks the cloud hotspots are a joke, i connected to one last week and thought it was my iphone because the edge i was using 5 minutes before was faster!!

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I did try getting on to a BT Openzone a couple of days after getting the iPhone when I was just playing around. Perhaps I went through a login screen then, whilst in the throes of an infatuated daze over my new acquisition.

Maybe I unwittingly sold myself to the devil and I will get an enormous bill in due course! :eek:

However, I'm absolutely sure that I didn't provide any billing details.

Does anyone know how it works? Could it, for example, be tacked on to my O2 bill?

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

My phone seems to like connecting to BT OpenZones but I can't use em.

Connected to my first Cloud today... while in Starbucks... very weak signal so must have been from a nearby access point. Despite the weak signal, web pages were really fast to load. Was amazed! Maybe just a fluke!?

12. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The Cloud in the Bullring seems to be really fast in my experience - as does the Cloud in the new shopping centre in Derby.

13. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Actually The Cloud network in Edinburgh (when you can actually find one) are damn fast. You can get Cloud access on most of George Street, I discovered last night.

14. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Nah nothing to worry about. You cant get billed for using an open WIFI connection -- unless prompted to enter your credit card :) It's a connect is open, and you can get data over it, you're fine. O2 don't give a damn.

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Phew! :)

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

from my experience when you find a cloud hotspot nothing happens as they never authenticate my Phone number. Which sucks.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That was the exact problem I had. When near a Cloud hotspot no page appeared when I used Safari so I couldn't "register" my iPhone.

I contacted Cloud's support. Sent them my number and MAC… seems to have been solved as of yesterday afternoon I am able to connect. :D Very pleased.

18. page3 macrumors 6502

Interestingly enough (well, I think so anyway) I was using my iPhone with the same Cloud hotspot as I mentioned before, except this time I got the 'we need your telephone number just once' screen on Safari. On entering it, all worked great. Strange that I could browse last time without doing this.

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I get to the phone number screen but it never goes past that. I guess I'll email them too.

20. dammitjanet@gma macrumors member

I was in Leeds today, The Cloud connection near Zavvi (Virgin Megastore or whtever its called these days) was very good and very quick.

I also had edge mostly to the south of Headway, but further north it was very patchy up past Borders.