What happens when I unlock an O2 iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SayCheese, Jun 16, 2010.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I am undecided at the moment if I should go with O2 or Vodafone for the iPhone 4 (will be queuing outside a local store). I am currently with O2 but am considering switching because I have no reception whatsoever at my parents house (where I spend a reasonable amount of time for various reasons). I also have a mediocre signal at home (Calls are occasionally patchy, I can send & recieve texts ok, but only gprs data (although I do have wifi)). I finished my contract back in January this year and am currently on the Simplicity £20 a month iPhone rolling 30 day contract.

I am considering for this reason Vodafone, especially if the leaked prices earlier this week are correct. However, before entering into an 18/24month contract, i'd quite like to test the signal strength both at home and my parents and see how good it is. I have here a PAYG Vodafone sim card, with credit, but no phone to put it in. So onto my question........

If I ring O2 and ask them to unlock my iPhone 3G and I then put my Vodafone sim in will I lose all my settings, apps, contacts etc off the phone? Basically will it wipe the phone so I have to start again? Everything is backed up on the laptop but it would be the hassle of losing everything.

Or

If I ring O2, they unlock the phone and I put in the Vodafone sim it just converts to the Vodafone network and I keep everything on the phone as is?
    If this works then I might also pick up a free Orange and T-Mobile sim and try a comparison of the networks prior to launch so that I can make an informed decision.

All help appreciated please.

Thanks.

2. germanjulian macrumors regular

if you get it unlocked it becomes unlocked. To unlock it though you need to have another sim card inserted while connected to itunes.

Nothing else changes, its that simple.