What happens when iPod's come pre-installed with Firmware 1.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

When iPod touch's start shipping with the 1.1.2 firmware, will we still be able to jailbreak it or are we going to be stuck. I heard that once a device is shipped with a certain firmware version, it is written in the ROM code that it cannot be downgraded to anything below the shipped firmware version. Since the current jailbreak hack requires 1.1.1 with jailbreakme.com and then OktoPrep and then upgrade to 1.1.2 and then re-jailbreak that.

Is there a chance that we'll be able to jailbreak 1.1.2 iPods when they're shipped with 1.1.2? My friend might get one for christmas and they want me to jailbreak it for them.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

its very easy really, *you will loose all data on the ipod such as music and photos etc

download the Official Apple 1.1.1 update, put it somewhere you will remember.

now with your touch hucked up to pc/mac hold down the home and lock buttons, eventually your ipod will turn off, when this happens leave them both held down till you see the apple logo, when this logo appears let go of the lock button ONLY.

iTunes will say it has detected a ipod in recovery mode, click ok. depending on what system you are using, hold down the shift key (for windows) or the options key (for mac) and then click restore. A file open box will show up, point this to where you saved the ipsw file, click the file then open and iTunes will now restore your touch to 1.1.1

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I know you can downgrade an iPod but, once it SHIPS with the 1.1.2 it will only accept 1.1.2 firmware and higher and you will NOT be able to downgrade to LOWER than the shipping firmware. That was I started the topic about. It wasn't a question about how to jailbreak because I already know how.

4. ElvisThePelvis macrumors member

ElvisThePelvis

That is wrong. 1.1.2 iPods will accept earlier versions...how do I know? I've done it.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

where the UK iPhones not a hint to you that what you said was complete nonsense? UK iPhone shipped with 1.1.2 yet people had downgraded as far as 1.0 firmware so check your sources next time ;)

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh cool! Thanks guys! I had heard that Apple writes something in the ROM that says it cannot downgrade from the shipped version but, I was wrong. Sorry guys... my bad... I guess I didn't read enough before posting. Thanks again for letting me know.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

No.. you're thinking of a PSP

8. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

so did 1.1.2 eliminate the ability to hack? Are they working toward hacking on this update. More importantly what may happen when we get 1.1.3 or 1.2?

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Correct, you can't hack 1.1.2 unless you downgrade to 1.1.1, then prep it and then upgrade to 1.1.2 and run the 1.1.2 jailbreak using SSH.

10. ks-man macrumors 6502a

The real issue will be if 1.1.3 requires a restore before an Update (or I guess it could erase oktoprep and not have to restore.

If it did restore during an update than people with jailbroken ipods would be forced to stay on 1.1.2 if they want to stay jailbroken. Granted some customers would be frustrated that their ipods were erased during the upgrade, but Apple could warn you about it and tell you to back up before the update.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

thats where the wonderful hackers come in, we just have to be patient for next update rollout and see what they can produce. I remember when everyone said the newer 1.80 on wards firmware for psp was deemed un hackable but after a lot of waiting they managed to do it.

12. greendood macrumors newbie

Just to confirm

Hi there. I have read all the discussion and I would like to summarize the following:

Even if you bought an iPhone with the 1.1.2 firmware (and 04.02.13_G baseband) you can still downgrade it to 1.1.1 firmware , then oktoprep it, upgrade to jailbroken 1.1.2, but you are not able to unlock it to make calls. In the end, you got an iPhone working as a Ipod touch, right?

"...to get the phone part working properly you should also downgrade your baseband firmware. At the moment this is NOT possible if your phone already had 1.1.2 when you bought it (meaning it has the new bootloader). If you accidentally upgraded your phone to 1.1.2 and want to go back to 1.0.2 or 1.1.1, read on."

I would like to know if there is a way in such we, common users can help to the dev team to make any progress ( apart of donating money)