Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sherthang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
If you have a 1st gen iPhone and it broke, you could buy a new one for the full price again-$400 or whatever it was. If you upgrade to a 3G iPhone, pay the subsidized price and it breaks, will you then have to pay the 600 or 700$ for the new phone?:eek:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
That would be affirmative. I would also say "if" the iPhone 3G breaks because so far I haven't heard of too many deaths that weren't "I dropped mine and the screen is totally cracked." If AppleCare is available, might be a good idea.

ramblintoad

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Uh, when the first iPhone broke, and it was still under warrenty, it was replaced for free. Even if you broke it, it was replaced for $250, not $400. I wouldn't think this phone would be any different.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
That would be affirmative. I would also say "if" the iPhone 3G breaks because so far I haven't heard of too many deaths that weren't "I dropped mine and the screen is totally cracked." If AppleCare is available, might be a good idea.

You're saying you would have to pay $600-$700 to get the phone replaced?:confused:

Um... no. Just like the first iPhone, if it's still under warrenty, they replace it for free. If it isn't, the fee is $250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.