What happens when the screen shuts off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wolfpup, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sort of a weird, but practical consideration. (I just ordered an iPod touch, but didn't think of this...)

I'm assuming the screen shuts off even when you're playing audio? If that's the case, do you have to press the button, slide the slider, and then you're back on the audio app and can fast forward/pause/etc.?

Also, if it's "off", you press the button, slide the slider...and then what? You have to hit the audio app again, and does that pull up your last audio track? Or is it even worse, and you have to search for the last track again to start playing it?

I constantly manipulate my regular iPod in the car, and I've just gotten to thinking that this might be impossible with a touch :-/

Hmm...maybe I should cancel and just go for a 16GB nano (hate to get another regular/classic 'cause of the drive...)

2. Big Willie macrumors member

If you're playing audio and your screen shuts off and you need access to change the volume or track, you press the home button twice and it brings up the audio controls on the screen.

Also, if the audio app was the last app you had up when the screen shuts off, unlocking with the slider will bring the audio app (or any other app that was the last app you had on) back automatically.

Calm down dude, you'll enjoy your iPod Touch.

:cool:

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks SO much! That sounds just about perfect (well, I'd still like a few more hardware buttons on it :D )

Okay, well then I'm really getting a touch! :)

I *really* wanted it by tomorrow (my 5G iPod is dying), but Amazon's out of stock, so I won't get it 'till Friday. I don't *think* Apple.com can get it to me any faster, although the claimed date is 17-22, so who knows. (Still thinking of canceling the Amazon order and trying my luck with Apple...)

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

new headphones

I'm thinking about getting the new Apple headphones with the control on the cord just for that purpose as well. So if it's in your pocket and want to go to the next song, you don't have to take it out. But pushing the home button twice does work like Big Willie said.

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'll probably order those headphones at some point. Sounds really handy-as does the microphone.

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Is your touch going to be connected to a charger in the car? Mine is, and I simply set the screen to never power off automatically. I just leave it on all the time so I can see the playing track information with a glance downwards.

7. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Nope, I just plug my iPod into a cassette adapter. That's nice there's an option to disable the screen turning off though.

I guess just hitting the home button twice and hitting the pause button isn't too bad though...hopefully! I really do like physical buttons though. The hybrid buttons/touch wheel design they settled on for the more recent iPods really works well.