What happens when updates are announced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baghli, Mar 29, 2012.

1. baghli macrumors newbie

So I'm over due for a macbook. I was originally going to go with an Air but I sometimes need a little bit more juice than can be fit into that small package right now unfortunately. I like the 13" as it is very mobile, yet not too small for regular use. My question is this: What has happend in the past when apple announces the new line and before the actual release? My concern is that they will discontinue the 13" as some rumored have stated. If that does happen then I will just snag a 13" as soon as they announce the new line (assuming this all happens in the next 2 months). I would also preferably like to customize the laptop (change memory and storage). So, I would like to know if you were able to modify the devices post announcement in the past. Modify them like the site allows you to now. Thanks in advance from anyone who might remember anything!

2. Skulltrail macrumors newbie

Skulltrail

It's been rumored that Apple will be releasing the new Ivy-Bridge lineup sometime in the next few months.

I strongly urge you wait for the new releases. Ivy-Bridge is more powerful and yet less power-consuming than current technologies.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could use the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store to get reduced and older models, that have been discontinued by Apple.

Also don't use Apple to upgrade the RAM (8 GB for 200 USD, while it costs 50 USD if you DIY) and HDD. Both can be done by you without voiding the warranty.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

4. baghli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. While I understand that I also know that the processing power is a minor upgrade. The GPU is what gets the good boost. But I would rather have a 13" with sandy bridge over a 15" with ivy bridge if those were my only 2 options.

----------

Thanks for the info. I'll defiantly use this when I figure out what I'm doing about my current dilemma.

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

Depending on if you're using something that's graphics intensive, you're going to want the 15 of either one - not the 13, because the integrated graphics suck.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The last (minor) upgrade wasn't announced, they just replaced the old with the new models in the online store, so customized "old" models become unavailable. You can still find them in the refurb store and with resellers.

I don't remember how things happened when they last had a bigger update.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

apple moves any unsold stock of the older model to the refurb store. Additionally other retailers will also discount unsold stock as well. If its your intentions to buy a Sandy Bridge MBP after apple refreshes the line, thats your best bet - keep an eye on the refurb store.

If memory servers me, they typically discount the stuff around 12 to 15% but I could be wrong, I haven't really visited the refurb store in a while

8. baghli thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh that's awesome thanks for the info. I will definitely keep an eye out then. I might get the ivy bridge if they keep the 13".