General What happens when you Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NbinHD, Aug 19, 2012.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm thinking of jail breaking but a bit hesitant. What are you actually doing to the phone when you jailbreak, and when you download something such as a theme and apply it, was it doing? If I do jailbreak, is it better to be safe then sorry and just stick to the more well known themes and tweaks?

2. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

You will start nuclear war AND the apocalypse. Don't do it.

3. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I've jailbroken my iPhone, purely for SB Settings (basically this puts in the pulldown notification, the option to enable/disable wifi, 3G, airplane mode etc). Never had any issues until recently.

The issue I have now is with an app called Sky Go, this basically allows me to watch tv channels that I get from my satellite TV subscription. Unfortunately now, the developer (on Sky's request) has written code into the app that allows it to determine if the device is either jailbroken (iPhone, iPad etc) or rooted (Android) and when it detects a jailbroken or rooted device, it brings a pop up on screen saying streaming is not supported on a jailbroken device.

IMO I think its going to be the start of more apps or more of these kinds of apps been able to detect a jailbroken or rooted device.

I know now that this will be the last time I will jailbreak. I'm waiting for iOS 6 to come along, then I'll install and in doing this I'll remove the jailbreak and hopefully I should be able to use the Sky Go app again.

Its up to you if you want to jailbreak, but bear in mind that there might be apps coming along or apps that you use now that might not run in the future on a jailbroken device.

4. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

So they wont let you use the Sky Go app until you un-jailbreak or never again?

5. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I'm assuming that once you install a software update and thus removing the jailbreak it should work again, but nobody knows for sure yet as most of the people with Sky Go have iOS 5.1 installed, and at this time there is no later iOS software around to install to remove the jailbreak.

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

You can restore to 5.1. Regardless, if it was restored, and not jail broken, the app has no way of telling if the device has ever been jail broken before.

7. blesio macrumors regular

You can remove the JB by installing 5.1 again. You just need to restore....

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That is just completely wrong.. First of all 5.1.1 is the latest current iOS version. Second of all you can restore your phone to 5.1.1 and any trace of the jailbreak will be completely gone provided you don't use any backups you did while you were jailbroken.

There's a jailbreak app that hides the fact that your device is jailbroken from apps but I forgot it's name.

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

xcon.

10. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Unfortunately the backups I have are recent and this means they contain the jailbreak.

I have tried extensively to find a workaround through various forums etc. There was in Cydia a fix called XCon that hid the fact the device was jailbroken, but this no longer works with recent updates to the Sky Go app.

Last thing. With iOS 6 just around the corner, I'm going to install this, set my iPhone up as new (which I do when there is a major software release), so there's no point in doing it now and then doing it again in a few weeks or a month or so down the line.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Apparently this no longer fools it into thinking your stock.

As for the OP's question.

The initial jb writes into the os moving it around a little to allow you to use Cydia to download tweaks.

The issues can begin when the person downloads too many tweaks causing possible conflicts between tweaks, and causing memory issues.

Also the knowledge to access the naughty repo's is all too common knowledge resulting in people downloading cracked {free} apps which can also come with bugs or badly written issues.

The main issue i had with my iphone 4 was with winter board causing lag, even with its most recent update. I also grew tired of having to re spring after certain tweak downloads and updates.

I did come to like the themes z|ui and Noki HD and the various tweaks that allowed me to use my iPhone in different ways, but after a couple of weeks of owning my iphone 4s as stock, i no longer miss them !

To each their own.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You are right. There's no point of restoring when iOS6 is just around the corner but if you really want to use the Sky Go app then the only way is to restore. No one here is asking you to restore from backups. It's always recommended to restore as new then sync everything back in.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Do yourself a favor do some research about jailbreaking what it is what to do. youtube is full of videos and Iclarified had great tutorials. Learn about it before you do it. If you plan to jump on IOS 6 if you have a Iphone 4 or down you use a tethered jailbreak almost as soon as it's released because of the limera1n exploit. 4S will need to wait and the alleged iPhone 5. the more you learn before the better you will enjoy your jailbreak..

14. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Sorry I meant 5.1.1 not 5.1, I'd forgotten we'd had a .1 update :) Sorry for the confusion :eek:

----------

If it had been months and months away then yes I would have restored, but with iOS 6 only round the corner, then I'm prepared to wait.

I was referring to 3bs regarding an earlier post when I said about restoring from backups. I'd put on an earlier post that I had iOS 5.1 when I should have put that I have iOS 5.1.1 installed, I'd forgotten we'd had a .1 update.

15. chokem macrumors 6502

I agree. Your phone will spontaneously combust.