What happens when you return an Apple leather case to the Apple Store ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jaybar, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

Just curious. After five days of use, I returned an Apple leather case to the Apple Store. Is it put back into inventory and resold as soon as you return it? Is it sent back to corporate ?

Thanks

2. bwsteg macrumors 6502

3. rgarjr, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They can't sell used stuff as new. So they probably sell it to a 3rd party company and they resell.

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I had the tan leather case with the black iPhone 7 plus. I returned the case to the Apple Store after 5 days of use. I exchanged it for the saddle brown. I liked the saddle but after a day's use, I decided it was too dark for me given the black phone and decided to go back to the Tan.

I returned the saddle brown to the Apple Store. No questions asked. Staff were very helpful and attentive. After retiring the saddle brown, I was fortunate to get the last tan one the store had in stock Since the leather cases seem to be in short supply in NYC (currently not available for store pickup), I wondered what they do with returns when things get tight.

5. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

The next revision of the case will be $85 if everyone cycles through 3+ cases before they decide on one

6. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

RWiL85

Do you have anything more constructive to add? FYI, this is the first black iPhone I have had since 2012. I am finding that the black bezels make it more difficult to locate the phone on dark surfaces when the lighting is dim. I am trying to compensate for this. To some extent by case selection.

7. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

My apologies.

I do not have anything constructive to add.

I'll see my way out.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Apple is not allowed to put it back on the shelf as new. I'm sure some smaller companies that need to cut corners do this, but Apple being such a huge corporation its not worth the risk of potentially getting caught doing that and risking the bad publicity.

9. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Pretty sure Apple sells them off to a third party as users/returned goods at a discount.

A few slip by and get put back on the shelf. Probably when customers lie and say they never opened them, or just due to mistakes.

Apple is putting serial numbers on each case now, so anyone thinking about pulling a switcharoo, might want to think twice

11. brojan macrumors member

There's a seal on the box to prevent them getting put back if opened.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

And some people miss that. And some people bypass that. I've seen them in the store.