General What happens when you send Apple a jailbroken device?

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
if u send Apple a JB phone in warranty, then the warrant is voided. if u send them the iphone with a restore after Jailbreak. then nothing happens
You still didn't answer the question. What happens if you send in a jailbroken device? Yes, the warranty is voided, but what happens next?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
You still didn't answer the question. What happens if you send in a jailbroken device? Yes, the warranty is voided, but what happens next?
What happen next? No one knows. That's up to the genius. If the warranty is void then the only fact we know is that Apple does not have the obligation to replace your phone. Is there any exception? Yes, that's why i said it's up to the genius.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
None of us would ever send in or bring in a jail broken device because it voids Apples warrenty. There is a possibility they don't notice or care there is also a possibility they send it back and say sorry Charlie your sol. Why chance it if all you have to do is restore it. ;)

daudi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
i think they will return the device stating that it is jaibroken and the warranty is voided.

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
reason I asked was my ex had a jailbroken phone and I recently had issues returning mine to stock. (our phones were basically copys of each other)

she cracked her screen and received a refurbed one from Apple (for $200) and has to send hers back at some point.

i'm guessing she isn't going to research why the phone won't restore and just send it back jailbroken

AnotherBrian

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Nothing's going to happen. Do you think Apple couldn't tell if your phone is jailbroke without even seeing it if they wanted to.