What Hard Drive do you recommend for 2.66 Xeon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by napoleonesq, Feb 18, 2008.

1. napoleonesq macrumors newbie

napoleonesq

I have a mac pro Dual Core Xeon 2.66GHZ and I currently have the HD the mac pro came with (250gb) and i added a seagate 750GB Sata drive, and I need to add another HD drive with 750GB or preferably 1TB.

Looking for any specific brand recommendation....and affordable of course.

Any suggestions as to make/model and where i can get it at a decent price?

Thanks for your help.

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Brands are down to your preference, i use Western Digital, i like them, but there are other makes out there equally as good, if your happy with Seagate stick to that brand, just make sure they are 16mb cache, all 5 of mine are, 1 x 250gb for boot drive and other 3 internal are 750gb and 1 x 500gb external for time machine (upping to 1tb) only for boot drive and one of the 750gb drives i use for storing projects on, good luck anyway

p.s. the WD's to go for are the AAKS drives, fast buggars i.e. WD7500AAKS

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

4. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

All the brands are equally fine. People have had bad experiences with every brand and every brand has had some bad production runs so no brand is immune from problems.

I'd say get the one that gives you a long hassle free warranty. I use WD, Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung and its all good. Only one I have not tried in the last 3-4 years is IBM / Hitachi but I'm sure they will be fine too.

One thing to do when you do get a drive...what I do anyway. I fire it up while holding it in my hand (actually you wont be able to do this unless you had some external sata case with cords long enough to let you hold the drive in your hand) and see if it seems to have a lot of vibration or not. You dont want a drive that has significant vibration.

5. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has a deal on the new Western Digital Green Power 1 TB drive, about $230 after instant savings. Don't think anyone can beat that. Good until Feb 23.

CJ

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The Western Digital 750GB WD7500AAKS hits the sweet spot at the intersection of speed, quiet, capacity, and price. It comes highly recommended on all the hardware benchmarking and review sites.

I have one in my Mac Pro, alongside a Seagate 7200.9 160GB, and the WD is far quieter and faster.

7. smogsy macrumors 6502a

above poster yeh WD new one is great but you can't compare seagates old tech to WD new :p

8. OZMP macrumors 6502

I bought a 500gb 7200.11, took the jumper off(with the jumper on they are 1.5gb/s, Our mac's are spec'd for 3gb/s) to give it the correct speed, and my machine flys.

Significantly faster boot times, and the computer was snappier in general(virtual memory?)

Has my reccommendation.

Cheers.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Just to point out...the green drive has been discovered to be 5400 RPM. Deal killer for me.