What hard drive does the Pro have?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamescwarren, Mar 22, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I'm buying a MacBook/Pro at Gatwick airport next week and was wondering what hard drive apple uses for the 320 GB 5400 RPM? Also, if I decided I wanted a 7200 RPM drive, what does Apple use for the 320 GB version of that ? Would it be any noisier than my 5400 RPM 2006 Core Duo MacBook? Would it have a big impact on battery life? But moreover, is it really that much speedier? Thanks :)

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Replace it with a SSD. You'll be happy. Trust me.

Just make sure you get a fast, good SSD. Like the Intels (X25-E's) or Vertex SSDs

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks for the reply. I would buy an SSD, but with money it isn't really an option. :confused:

Does anyone else know what the hard drives used are. Also, will 4 GB of RAM make a big difference over the standard 2 GB?

Thanks

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

5. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Apple uses crappy Hitachi drives so I would not keep them (e.g. buy the computer with the chepest HDD and then switch down the line) if you canno afford SSD then go for WD/Seagate HDD (usually the bigger the better due to greater density) however I'd still consider an SSD update, today you can get a mid-range SSD with 128GB for $200 I know it is a bit high but a macbook pro diserves that update (not to mention you get to keep the HDD which you can make it external)
    This is the one I bought and I am super happy with it.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=128GB+ssd+g.skill
    and by the way ram will indeed help (for most********** people [those who use their computer mainly for web-browsing, watching movies/hearing music, that kind of easy on memory stuff will hardly notice the difference but ram is so cheap that only for the peace of mind it worth paying for it) just dont buy off apple since they tend to charge you more, buy online (~$70 or less for DDR3)

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i am going to ungrade my hard drive as well. i am looking to get an SSD. but i am waiting until mid summer because that is when the SSD's with TRIMM are going to be coming out.

7. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks for all your replies. One thing I have seen with hard drives by Western Digital is that they have this 'Free-fall sensor'. I know that the MacBook has a sudden motion sensor. What I need to get one with out without the sensor for the MacBook? If I got one without, would the sudden motion sensor still work? Also, does anyone have any info on the speed/battery stuff I mentioned first?