Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
What would you guys recommend as a replacement hard drive for a Mac Pro system drive? Is there a clear performance leader?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
This article might help:

Best boot drive for the Mac Pro

I use a Western Digital 150GB Raptor drive as my system drive, though I cant say that it feels much faster than the 250GB drive that came with my Mac.

Also Hitachi's 1TB drive is supposed to be very close to the Raptors performance wise.

24hourparty

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2007
Get the Hitachi 7K500 or 7K1000

These drives offer significantly more storage than the Western Digital Raptor drives, with similar performance. The 7K500 received a minor update a little while ago (reduced number of platters from four to three). I have four in my Mac Pro, and they're superb.

downset

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
i just got a couple of samsungs drives , 2x 500GB and 1 smaller 160gb drive for bootcamp XP, i really like the noise level, also the kind of noise is much less schrieky (does this make sense in english? i mean more subtle lower toned noise and less high tones)than my old WD drive

i really like the samsung drives so far

after reading this, there doesn't seem to be 1 clear cut winner:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/16/2007-hdd-rundown/index.html

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
i just got a couple of samsungs drives , 2x 500GB and 1 smaller 160gb drive for bootcamp XP, i really like the noise level, also the kind of noise is much less schrieky (does this make sense in english? i mean more subtle lower toned noise and less high tones)than my old WD drive

after reading this, there doesn't seem to be 1 clear cut winner:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/16/2007-hdd-rundown/index.html

I have 2 Samsung drives as well and they are both quieter than the HD that came with my mac pro. So far, no problems. :D

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I use a Western Digital 150GB Raptor drive as my system drive, though I cant say that it feels much faster than the 250GB drive that came with my Mac..

Yeah, but I bet you can say that it's much noiser! In my experience with the 150 Raptor, it wasn't that much faster on bootup; it shaved maybe 3 seconds from bong to finder (MacPro 2.66). However, it sure made a lot of loud annoying tap-tap-tap noises. I sent mine back.

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
These drives offer significantly more storage than the Western Digital Raptor drives, with similar performance. The 7K500 received a minor update a little while ago (reduced number of platters from four to three). I have four in my Mac Pro, and they're superb.
Is the 7K1000 the terabyte drive? I can't find it for sale anywhere! I really wanted to get it for my boot drive. Still might get it and then use it for Leopard. I think it'd be a great choice personally.

I just got a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint from newegg, it seems fine but it makes a weird sort of low clicking sound that I haven't heard with another hard drive. Otherwise, it's much quieter (less whirring/fewer higher pitched noises, I see what you mean about the shrieky thing) than my Seagate Barracuda. I have a WD as my boot drive (stock 250GB that came with my MP).

Think I should be worried about that sound? It has stuff on it, I use it as CS3 scratch drive and for large torrents, and doesn't seem to be having any hiccups, just never heard that sound before...

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Yeah, but I bet you can say that it's much noiser! In my experience with the 150 Raptor, it wasn't that much faster on bootup; it shaved maybe 3 seconds from bong to finder (MacPro 2.66). However, it sure made a lot of loud annoying tap-tap-tap noises. I sent mine back.

I don't notice it that much, it's only noisy when it's seeking. It has a sort of hollow grinding sound, though unless I run out of RAM and it's grinding away it's not that noisy. The idle noise is pretty good.

For idle noise I find it's better than the WD2500JS 250GB (drive Apple provided) and my two WD500KS's 500GB, though for seeking it's a lot louder.

As for whether I think that buying the 150GB raptor was worth it, let's just say that if I had to buy the hard drives again I wouldn't bother with the raptor. I would probably go for the Hitachi 7K1000 1TB drive instead.

downset

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
I just got a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint from newegg, it seems fine but it makes a weird sort of low clicking sound that I haven't heard with another hard drive. Otherwise, it's much quieter (less whirring/fewer higher pitched noises, I see what you mean about the shrieky thing) than my Seagate Barracuda. I have a WD as my boot drive (stock 250GB that came with my MP).

Think I should be worried about that sound? It has stuff on it, I use it as CS3 scratch drive and for large torrents, and doesn't seem to be having any hiccups, just never heard that sound before...

if you mean the normal sound while reading and writing i wouldnt be worried, if it makes noise besides that it doesnt semm normal, my old 250 wd drive kind of made "thickthick" as a noise when reading writing the samsung is more "domdom" and lower decibell, besides the difference in sound i hear nothing abnormal

fairnymph

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Chapel Hill, NC
if you mean the normal sound while reading and writing i wouldnt be worried, if it makes noise besides that it doesnt semm normal, my old 250 wd drive kind of made "thickthick" as a noise when reading writing the samsung is more "domdom" and lower decibell, besides the difference in sound i hear nothing abnormal

I don't know if it's a normal sound; I haven't heard it before with other drives (to my recollection), but it also doesn't sound really bad. So I'm just not sure.

*thickthick* sounds more like the sound than *domdom*.

I will record it and then maybe people can assess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.