What Hard Drive for Mac Pro gaming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by byocrysis, Sep 26, 2008.

1. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I am planning on buying a new hard drive for my mac pro and installing Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit on it for the purpose of gaming. I was wondering if anyone had any good hard drive recommendations that are both fast and quiet. I know some people are undoubtedly going to say that Mac Pro is not for gaming and Windows XP would be better for games as well but all I really want to know is what hard drive I should get for my bootcamp gaming pleasure. Thanks.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Umm, something large and 7200+ rpm. I heard good things about the Seagate Barracudas.

Forgive my ignorance, do games see much of a benefit from faster HDDs?

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If you play and plan to play a lot of different games you will likely be best with a 1TB drive. You can load a lot of games on that way and still have high performance. If you only plan to play a few specific games then any sata drive will do really, but you may as well at least get a 500GB drive. Seagate, Western Digital or Samsung are who you should be looking at.

At the speeds we have now, no not really. Interactions with the hard drive tend to be saving, loading areas/levels and starting up.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Samsung Spinpoint are quite fast and very quiet.

5. Lampshadekiller macrumors newbie

i agree. The samsung spinpoint F1 series are currently some of the best drives on the market, with fairly quiet performance and read/write speeds approaching that of the western digital raptor series.

If you're interested,this is primarily because they have a very high platter density, up to 333GB/platter. Of course, the more data you canfit in a given space, then loic dictates that that data will be closer together on the surface of the platter, meaning the drive head doesnt need to move as far to read the same amount of information :)

Hope that helps