Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countermike

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi everyone :)

can please someone specify the make and model for a 1TB hard drive for my mac pro, is i have ordered form Apple ( im an Idiot) lol ... but i can still cancel it and get it form somewhere else before they ship it to me .

I found this hard drive , please let me know if this ok ...

1Tb Samsung SATA2 32Mb 7200rpm HDD Serial ATA300 (Spinpoint F1 , 1 Terabyte ,: Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps buffer memory : 32 MB)

Soop53

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Ohio
I have two Sammy F1 750s. I am very happy with them. No problems and very quiet!

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
YES Cancel your order, do it Now!
If you want 1TB, go for the samsung or the western digital green drive.
I just got my mac pro a little over a week ago. I just placed a order to owc for the western digital 640GB. I have seen pretty good reviews for this drive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD6400AAKS/

More mac pro compatible hard drive choices from owc
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/sata/mac-pro

Just about any drive you choose, will be faster and cheaper than apple's.

indiochano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
using a UPS with my computer and a couple of WD caviars, ive never experienced any errors.

make sure you do have a UPS if you want to keep your data safe.

countermike

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
YES Cancel your order, do it Now!
If you want 1TB, go for the samsung or the western digital green drive.
I just got my mac pro a little over a week ago. I just placed a order to owc for the western digital 640GB. I have seen pretty good reviews for this drive.

More mac pro compatible hard drive choices from owc
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/sata/mac-pro

Just about any drive you choose, will be faster and cheaper than apple's.

I have just canceled my order and reordered it again with out the aditional 1TB HDD,well i saved like AU$600.00 ( peeew) thanks so much for all for the help , and i think for that price i can get 3 TB and make my mac Pro 4 TB ... YAY!!!! for that :)

once again for everyone who helped me in this forum ... Thank you so so so so much .... as im new to mac and never knew how to go with a upgrade as i mac never allowed me to do so ... :)

Also A BIG thanks for this great Forum ... :)

Apple rocks :D:D:D:D:

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Seagate has a five year warranty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

The WD Greenpower drives use up a little less energy and are quieter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151

Really, there isn't too much of a difference between different hard drives. The technology is pretty much the same, so it is just a matter of finding a good warranty, price and any special features.

WD GP uses less energy and is quieter because it does not spin the drive as fast. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but WD is a tad shady when they say it's "7200 class performance", when it's not as fast in actual data transfer or seek time as any 7200 drive of the same size. It's probably as fast as smaller 7200 drives. They don't even say how fast it spins, it looks like it's more or less a 5400.

big dainjerus

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
I just placed a order to owc for the western digital 640GB. I have seen pretty good reviews for this drive.

I ordered this as my boot drive and thus far it has been making this high pitched whiny sound. Like the needle is scratching along the disk or something. Like nails on a chalkboard. Very high frequency type sound. I called OWC and the guy told me that sometimes it takes the drives a little while to "break in", and that if it didn't correct itself after a week that I need to get a replacement.

Anyone else have this problem?

NovemberMike

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
WD GP uses less energy and is quieter because it does not spin the drive as fast. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but WD is a tad shady when they say it's "7200 class performance", when it's not as fast in actual data transfer or seek time as any 7200 drive of the same size. It's probably as fast as smaller 7200 drives. They don't even say how fast it spins, it looks like it's more or less a 5400.

Most of the benchmarks I have seen put it within about 5-10% of other 1TB 7200rpm drives. Generally, it seems to be faster than the 7200rpm drives of 1 generation ago and slower than most current 7200rpm drives. If the OP would seriously need a Seagate 7200.11 over a 7200.10 because of speed, this is important. Otherwise it makes no difference.

I wouldn't recommend putting the OS on it, but other than that it is fine.

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
I ordered this as my boot drive and thus far it has been making this high pitched whiny sound. Like the needle is scratching along the disk or something. Like nails on a chalkboard. Very high frequency type sound. I called OWC and the guy told me that sometimes it takes the drives a little while to "break in", and that if it didn't correct itself after a week that I need to get a replacement.

Anyone else have this problem?

If i understood correctly, that's called seek noise, and there is not break in period...I had 2 WD that had that scratchy sound, nothing wrong with the drives, just noisy.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Independently of reading macrumors, I just ordered online that 1tb seagate drive, which I assume is the as the one mentioned a few times earlier, can anyone vouch for the quality of it? Im planning on using it solely as my "media disk"

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I can vouch for Seagate drives. From the countless threads I've read here and away, they seem more reliable. A couple drives are faster, but less reliable. That is what's important. No drive is infallable, but I have my money on Seagates.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
My advice:

Both WD and Seagates are fine drives.

What kills the drive is the shipping and handling by UPS. However, on a $50 drives, it might not be worth while to go by air. But on a $200 1TB drive, you do not want to take any chance and ship them by air and preferably FedEx.

nikiski

macrumors regular
What kills the drive is the shipping and handling by UPS. However, on a $50 drives, it might not be worth while to go by air. But on a $200 1TB drive, you do not want to take any chance and ship them by air and preferably FedEx.

Agreed. UPS lost my one of my shipment and broke another shipment once. I'd prefer FedEx or DHL if possible.

countermike

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys :)

just got my mac pro and went and got 1Tb Samsung SATA2 32Mb 7200rpm HDD Serial ATA300 just for AU$ 191.00 :)

and it works fine too :)
thanks once again for all your help :)

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I have 3 WD Green 1TB drives and find them very quiet. I'll take a slower drive that is quiet any day to a fast and loud drive.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
see above: I also was able to get them on sale at Fry's for $169.00 each (Microcenter also sometimes have them on sale at this price).

chris1978

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
!

Yes that hard drive looks awesome!!
but you know the devices this days are complicated!! LOL
butt no your not an idiot the device is awesome!!
i used it for mine too and it works great!!
=]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.