What Hard drives are inside these MyBook HDD's!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobsbarricades, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

I'm going crazy. I can't find any specifics online.

1 is model number - wd500p032 (its the 500GB with the blue circle light in front)

1 is model number - wd5000K1CS-00 (it's the 500GB with the white light strip in the front).

I want to take these guys out and put them in a RAID enclosure but don't know if they're SATA, eSATA, or EIDE drives!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're almost certainly SATA. MyBook HDs weren't made to be broken down and salvaged, though.

3. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

no they are not! I've done it before on a friends to put it in a tower though. Not worried about that part.

Maybe I should call WD! tomorrow.

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

As above, they are likely SATA (no such thing as a bare eSATA drive). You can salvage them, but they are unlikely to be the same model. For best performance you are going to want exactly the same drive for a RAID configuration. Bare drives that size are cheap.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I recently ripped apart an old my passport and it was a SATA drive

6. bobsbarricades thread starter macrumors regular

I'm struggling though. I just found out I can make a JBOD raid with these two externals. WHich helps.

One of them has all my info, while the other is my backup backup that is slightly outdated. I want to just mirror all the data on my primary onto the secondary.

I might not NEED the enclosure. But I think in the future it'd be nice. Not so many freakin wires....

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

JBOD is not RAID ("RAID 0" is not really RAID either). You would be fine in a JBOD, but why? What exactly are you trying to do?