What Harddrive enclosure and type?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktbubster, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ok... So I am looking at getting an external hard drive to use with leopard (and to give me more space, my current external is sad and small and USB)

I want to get a firewire 400 drive (thinking maybe 800 if possible)

My dad suggested I get an enclosure and then buy a hard drive to put in it separately.

I am not sure how/what I have to do to go about this. It's for my macbook pro (soon to be upgraded to a 2.2 SR)

So I was wondering what/where I should go to get an enclosure and some suggestions on one, as well as what type of drive I am supposed to be putting in that (what should I search for on amazon for instance) I want 320gb or more.

Also, if not that, then just an external harddrive in general, what are some good suggestions for an all in one external? Firewire 400 320+ for a decent price.

Thanks a lot!

2. dogbait macrumors regular

Take a look at the Iomega Ultramax Pro

It offers two flavours, USB and e-SATA or USB and Firewire. Both allow you to slot new hard drives into the bays at the back of the enclosure. It seems a pretty good design.

I would recommend Firewire over USB everytime, and since no Mac (barring the Mac Pro) can offer e-SATA, the choice is made for you!

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've been using an external firewire enclosure for a long time and let me tell you, it kicks ass. Whatever you buy you'll be happy to know that you can switch it out later on. WAY cheaper in the long run.

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Actually there are eSATA express cards for the MBP.

And I don't want to start a debate, but Firewire 400 (which is what the 15" MBP has) isn't all that much better than USB2. It is better for reading but writing is the same. Check out Bare Feats. I do prefer Firewire, but I don't notice a huge difference between my USB2 and Firewire drives. What I am saying is, if a person sees a great USB2 deal they should maybe take it and not worry about Firewire.

6. ruZZ.il macrumors member