What hardware and software for backups in addition to Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 2012afie, Feb 4, 2015.

1. 2012afie macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new MBP with a 256GB drive and will be leaving it at work.
    I want a robust system of backups for my work files.

Proposal:

Static External HD
    Volumes of:
    Time Machine backups
    Music storage
    Photo storage

Offsite External HD
    Volumes of:
    Bootable clone of my MBP
    Music backup
    Photo backup
    Old computer data

Questions:
    What software should I use to create the bootable clone on a volume of the offsite drive?
    If I was to backup the bootable clone each week, would the software just write over the weekly changes or add a whole new clone?
    Would this same software be able to create the music backup by just adding/deleting files that have changed on the static drive? If not, would I have to do this manually?

An alternative solution would be a third drive, 2.5" portable that just stored music and photos. It could be backed up by TM (I know there are currently issues with this method and Yosemite), and then I would need to do a second task of the secondary backup to the offsite drive. Disadvantages are the cost of the third drive and the extra steps involved.

Hardware:
    I would like to use DIY external drives.
    Static external:
    WD Red
    3.5" USB3 enclosure

Offsite external:
    Drive?
    3.5" USB3 enclosure

Questions:
    Any recommendations on the drives to use?
    If I wanted to fill the drives to a maximum of 80%, what size drive is recommended for currently 1TB of music and photos and a 256GB MBP drive?
    Any recommendations on the enclosures to use?
    I work at a university, will the power supply be consistent enough to avoid using a UPS for the static external drive?

Cheers,

Alex

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Carbon Copy Cloner can do what you want done.

It creates a bootable clone of your Mac. The clone (unlike TM) will look exactly as your Mac does. It makes it easy to look for files. It will also make incremental updates provided there is sufficient storage.

Super Duper also creates a clone but, I have never used it.

3. 2012afie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Do you know if you can use Carbon Copy to create a clone (with incremental updates) on a volume/partition of an external drive?

4. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP asks above:
    [[ Do you know if you can use Carbon Copy to create a clone (with incremental updates) on a volume/partition of an external drive? ]]

Yes.

Suggestion:
    When you set up the external drive (i.e., when you first partition it), make the FIRST partition (uppermost in Disk Utility's partition list) the one that is to receive the CCC clone.

6. 2012afie thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks.
    It does seem that you can setup several volumes in an external drive and use just one for CCC.