What hardware can you upgrade in a Mac computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ALMSIVI, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ALMSIVI macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm writing a paper on the differences between traditional PCs and Macs, and I need to know what hardware, if any can be upgraded in a Mac desktop computer. Thanks! :)

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Anything i suppose. Except the logic board (motherboard), case, built in camera/microphone if you have one. You could even overclock some old g3s and g4s.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Work has been proceeding in order to bring perfection to the crudely conceived idea of a machine that would not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters. Such a machine is the 'Apple-Encabulator.'

The original Macintosh had a base-plate of prefabulated amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings were in a direct line with the pentametric fan. ... The main winding was of the normal lotus-o-delta type placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the 'up' end of the grammeters.

Forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes were arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar refractive pilfrometer ... but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. ... Undoubtedly, the apple-encabulator has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

the answer depends on what model of mac you are referring to....some are way more upgradeable than others.....please specify :p

5. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

a new iMac 24" can have the hard drive upgraded and the memory. but thats about all i know of..

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

7. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

yeah...its basically a laptop in an awesome screen on a stand...really cool. love ours.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I would google and research on your own if your writing a paper.

I would hate to see how you cite resources

[1] - Macrumors.com post#112232 from -{McHandy}-
    [2] - Macrumors.com bla bla bla bla

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

You've been waiting years to pull this one out or your bag haven't you?

BTW- I believe it's "panametric fam"

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you are talking about notebook computers then Macs and PCs are alike. The answer is RAM and some times the hard drive.

If you are talking about a PC tower and a Mac Pro than they re a lot alike

iMacs are jusr like notebooks.

Short paper I guess as the above describe everything.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is also the Mac mini, which is pretty much not upgradeable. Compare this to a MacPro, where you can do a lot since the insides are much like an ordinary windows PC.

However, none of these replies are something you should be quoting in a paper - go do some research. I would start by perhaps getting pictures of the insides of an iMac vs a typical windows PC vs MacPro and finding out what is what.

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-old-wiz

Actually, you can upgrade the Mini, it just doesn't have handy-dandy catch-releases for easy access. You can only change out the drive and RAM however.

As for the Mac Pro, I'd say that switching out parts is actually fun!

13. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

(everything below refers to intel macs)
    You can swap screens in the pre-LED MacBook Pros and MacBooks…search "1920x1200 powerbook"
    You can upgrade your wireless card in notebooks/mac mini (it's mini PCI-e)
    You can add intel turbo memory to laptops/mac mini (it's mini PCI-e)
    You can add a mini PCI-e SSD to laptops/mac mini
    You can put a blu-ray drive in a Mac Pro
    You can upgrade the CPU in Mac mini/iMacs/Mac Pro