Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GratefulMed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Newbie question. I'm on the fence whether to buy a Macbook now or wait (as so many advise). However, I'm wondering what significant hardware updates to expect with the next round of Macbooks available when Leopard arrives in June. If the hardware changes are not that significant, the better deal might be to buy now and only upgrade OS and software later. I am not into video editing or gaming so the potential video upgrade does not sound that important to me. What other improvements or changes do people expect on the hardware side come June?

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
2nd Generation Intel Core 2 processor that uses Socket P
800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Frot Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization
Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset with Inte's GMA X3000 graphics technology
NAND flash-memory caching
Intel Dynamic Acceleration
and possibly LED-lit displays for the MacBook and MacBook Pro

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Who knows.

I'm betting that Leopard's top secret features have been hidden because they will reveal a new hardware requirement, which would prevent sales of todays hardware.

Thus I'm waiting for that new hardware. I will buy a MBP the moment a new one is released.

cayley

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2007
I know the Santa Rosa chipset will support NAND flash-memory caching...

But has there been any news that new laptops *will* have it or is everything just speculation?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Who knows.

I'm betting that Leopard's top secret features have been hidden because they will reveal a new hardware requirement, which would prevent sales of todays hardware.

Thus I'm waiting for that new hardware. I will buy a MBP the moment a new one is released.

Absurd. Apple has always supported hardware at least 5+ years back. There may be a particular feature of Leopard that requires newer hardware, much like Vista graphics requirements, but it will not preclude Leopard running well on existing hardware. Unlike MS, OS X actually run better, faster and more efficiently with each new release.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Absurd. Apple has always supported hardware at least 5+ years back. There may be a particular feature of Leopard that requires newer hardware, much like Vista graphics requirements, but it will not preclude Leopard running well on existing hardware. Unlike MS, OS X actually run better, faster and more efficiently with each new release.

I'm not saying it won't run on existing hardware. I'm almost certain that it'll run better on newer hardware (much as you are) and I consider it worth holding off a hardware purchase for a few months.

I also consider it possible that it'll have some functionality only available on that newer hardware.

(Of course Leopard will run on older Intel and PPC hardware still).

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I'm not saying it won't run on existing hardware. I'm almost certain that it'll run better on newer hardware (much as you are) and I consider it worth holding off a hardware purchase for a few months.

I also consider it possible that it'll have some functionality only available on that newer hardware.

(Of course Leopard will run on older Intel and PPC hardware still).

Cheers then!

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
I'm waiting. I tend to keep my computers for a long time (working on a 1.25Ghz Powerbook right now) and so buying a computer that's about to be obsolete doesn't suport that goal. I've needed a new computer for about 3 months and I expect to wait another three.
Like you I'm not doing much hard core computing so after I buy a new MBP I expect that it will last for 3-5 years as the two powerbooks I've bought so far have. Actually my beat up first generation TiBook is still being used by my girlfriend and it's about 6 years old.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
I'm waiting. I tend to keep my computers for a long time (working on a 1.25Ghz Powerbook right now) and so buying a computer that's about to be obsolete doesn't suport that goal. I've needed a new computer for about 3 months and I expect to wait another three.
Like you I'm not doing much hard core computing so after I buy a new MBP I expect that it will last for 3-5 years as the two powerbooks I've bought so far have. Actually my beat up first generation TiBook is still being used by my girlfriend and it's about 6 years old.

And if care is taken, that TiBook will still run another 4 to 6 years without becoming obsolete. Macs have a long life expectancy, both soft and hardware. My previous G3 Powerbook is still very useful now, and I had that 5 years in constant use, not so much nowadays as I am happily typing away on a 1.25Ghz G4 PB 15" since the beginning of 2003..., so that G3 is now about 9 years old :) (has OSX Panther installed, runs fine with it)

:apple:

iLoveMyMBP

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
New York

Yeh I hope that isn't true.....I just bought my core2duo mbp a few months ago...i'd hate to see my hard earned money that i put into my mac go to wast because apple is upgrading their OS and or hardware:rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Likely a normal Santa Rosa PC with the MacBook having typical flash memory and the MacBook Pro pushing it towards the limit, addition of normal Mac I/O, and a subpar graphics card all stuffed into the MacBook family cases.

These machines likely won't qualify for the Centrino branding because Apple may stick with their current vendors for some of the chips in the machine -- like wireless.

bobsayshello

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Northern Ireland
I was about to buy a 17 inch MBP (my first Apple laptop) having secured a provisional £80 discount (telephone sales person at apple Stores UK) to offset the cost of upgrading to Leopard when it is released. Having read so many posts on the net recommending 'holding off' any MBP purchase until the next hardware release (Santa Rosa) im back to square one and am totally confused and wondering would it be better to stick to getting a PC laptop now, a MBP now or waiting until June (will it be June??) for the next Rev MBP???

all feedback and pain relief greatly appreciated from an apple wannabee :eek:

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
I think considering your buying a 17inch your best of waiting at least for nab in a couple of weeks - its a lot of money to spend.

How easy was it to get the £80 discount from apple ? My local retailer said they were trying to get a free copy of leopard for people who wanted to buy a mac now.

To me santa rose is appealing because it is supposably true 64bit but with adobe showing no indication of aiming or wanting to go 64bit its not a big deal. The only app I have at the moment that would benefit would be Cinema 4d but i have a G5 for that anyway.

If anything i'm holding back for leapard and the possibility of a lcd backlit screens but I'm sure i read that it was aimed at the 13inch models.

bobsayshello

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the feedback

I rang Apple UK on 0800 0391010 with the intention of getting a 'ball park' date for Leopard. The salesperson told me to 'buy now' and he would discount the purchase price by £80 (the price, he explained, of upgrading my MBP to Leopard when it comes out)

Does anyone expect the price of the pending Santa Rosa (Rev D MBP) to jump significantly?

It it likely to roll out in June?

illustratorDavi

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
North Yorkshire
Think i will mention that to my local reseller, thanks

Yeah i think its likely to be june but my recent predictions have been off. WWDC could just concentrate on leopard and iphone. Then we are stuck till September paris expo - worse case scenario or more likely a quiet non-expo release like we have just seen with macpro - could be any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.