What hardware do you expect to go on sale next week?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NJRonbo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I realize no-one has exact answers.

WWDC is on Monday.

While a new Macbook Pro and possible Apple Watch could be announced (the latter being less likely), what actual hardware could go on sale or preorder next week?

My guess is this WWDC is going to be all about software (iOS, OS X and Watch OS 3)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

None I don't see any updates coming out from WWDC with the possible exception of the Apple Watch 2.

3. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I kind of agree that the watch might be the only hardware announcement.

Do you think the Apple Watch 2 could go on sale soon or is it still too early?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think we'll new MBPs, they're getting long in the tooth, apple has witnessed a 40% reduction in shipments and the competition has already leap frogged them.

Some folks are hoping to see new Mac Pros as well, but given that Apple has not shown any attention to that model for 3 years, I'm kind of skeptical.

Then there's the Thunderbolt display, its also been several years since its rollout, and with inventories shrinking, it seems this may also be on the plate for WWDC.

5. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree to all of this...

But what MIGHT actually go on sale next week?

Here's the thing...

I am about to drop money on a Macbook.

Hate to do that if, say, a Apple watch goes on sale next week or a new MBP.

I think there may be announcements for all these products, but actual hardware release? I would bet not till fall.

Just weighing opinions from others

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only apple knows, just wait the few days and find out ;)

7. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I gotcha!

This is merely a speculation thread.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Best Buy had some sales earlier this week (1st Gen Macbooks), even if Apple doesn't announce anything, I'd check there first with Father's Day right around the corner, you might find some good deals.

9. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

B&H Photo has $100 off the base model for the 2016 m3 basic version. Just went on sale today.

10. n-evo, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

11. pmau macrumors 65816

An AI device with improved SIRI, connects tor your Apple TV via AirPlay. Can remote control HomeKit and Apple TV.
    The whole WWDC will be about "AIkit" and its API's.
    No MacBook, no MacPro, no Displays, nothing,

Swift in the Cloud will come and "Xcode lite" on the iPad Pro with compilatio in the cloud.

12. shaunp macrumors 65816

It's gotten to the point where Apple have to release new hardware. The current rMBP is not skylake and doesn't have enough RAM, and E5-V4 Xeons have been around for a month or so no so there's no reason not to upgrade the nMP. If Apple do nothing, especially with the rMBP, people will just move onto other hardware. I need a new laptop now, but I won't buy anything from Apple until I know what is happening next week. And if they make a complete pigs ear of the keyboard like they have done with the MacBook I'll be buying a Dell 5510.

13. theluggage macrumors 68030

Then its probably worth waiting, but "manage your expectations".

"No hardware - just OSX and iOS news" is a strong contender.

"Watch2" is a possibility - especially if it has new capabilities that they want to get developers writing for.

The MacBook Pro range is long overdue for a make-over - this is partly dependent on Intel releasing the correct chips (the specific mobile versions with the Iris Pro graphics have been slow to appear) - and if (as seems likely) they're introducing Thunderbolt 3 & USB-C there may be a developer angle. That's the most likely Mac announcement but my gut feeling is don't hold your breath. If they don't appear then its time to grab your popcorn and watch the fireworks on these forums. If they do appear then it might mark the end of the 13" Air (obsolete in the face of a slightly thinner 13" rMBP).

The 12" MacBook was bumped a few months ago, so that's unlikely to change.

The iMacs were updated late last year, so they won't change.

The Mac Mini needs an update, but is often neglected so I wouldn't hold your breath. A new Mac Mini using Intel's Skull Canyon platform would be brilliant, but I fear that is wishful thinking.

The Mac Pro needs an update. However, archaeologists studying a 2-million year old engraving hacked in the wall of a cave in the African Rift Valley have recently translated the ancient pictograms as saying "If Mac Pro not upgraded when next rains come, we getting black monolith from Moonwatcher. It full of stars!".

14. bluespark macrumors 65816

All indications are that WWDC will be a software-only event. This makes some sense, especially in light of the time demands posed by discussing four different operating systems. I also think this would be a good time to preview Apple Music updates, which probably will be a selling point.

I agree with others that hardware desperately needs an update. I can't think of another period in Apple's history where so much hardware seems stale, and only at Apple's darkest point was the Mac lineup as confused as it currently seems. But it's just not clear when or how Apple plans to address that.

15. loby, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016

loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Apple "has" updated hardware on occasion during their software event... Though it is highly unlikely this time since not much on the rumor side (or apple has tighten up on the 'secret' thing...we could see an announcement or something if Apple is concerned with Mac sales so developers can write to the new graphics hardware etc....I know...I am hoping.

I am in a spot because I need to update to a mac pro for video editing and do not want to spend thousands on older technology. Yes Apple the current mac pro "is" fast and good, but the way you have been changing stuff lately, plus the tech industry's advancements, it will be "old" tech faster and pro stuff purchases at higher pricing tiers for equipment need to be relevant longer for the cost, so purchases need to last for some time. Budgeting schedules (upgrading etc.) in business is common and is how business' run, not like yearly iPhone purchases. So my guess is that they will not update for another year, which puts me in a bind with little choice...unless I give in and go to PC...

16. Volusia macrumors regular

Volusia

Best Buy is giving $50 off the Watch Sport. Yesterday or day before they ran one of those 4 hour on line specials with $200 on some of the higher end models.....

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Stick a new graphics card in the one you have.

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I sincerely doubt that any new hardware will go on sale next week. It's possible, albeit unlikely, that we even see any hardware announcements... but nothing actually released and made available, IMO.