What has happend to my Ibook G4??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spider-mac, Mar 5, 2011.

1. spider-mac macrumors newbie

I have a 5 year old Ibook G4, which I belive just quit on me 4 months ago.

Ive had problems with it the last couple of months, like spotlight not longer working, the wifi indicatior, batteri indicator and the clock dissapeard from the top hand right corner.. and could not seem to get them turned on again.

What happend; I was going to watch a movie with VLC, which kept switching itself of, I tried to restart it several times, but to no help. I then restarted the whole computer, but it would not boot up to the OS, but instead it was a black screen with a few lines written, but it did not stay on long enough that I could see what was written.

Afterwards the window with MacOSX is starting up.. and the regular light blue screen. Then the MacOSX "tablet" dissapeard, and all that where visible was the light blue screen, and the mouse courser.. I could not turn up or down the brighness of the screen, nor would the volume. I restartet the machine 3-4 times but the same results.

Tried the morning after, but to no use.

I did download a Flash blocker program 2 days prioer to this happening, but I dont think that would "kill" of the Mac.

I did try to restart it after some advice on another board, with holding the Shift button in.. this is what happend.

Darwin/BSD(m192k.studeby.ntnu.no)(console)
    login:
    password:

Then I wrote some jibberish as login and password.. it just keeps repeating itself over and over again.

I pulled out the network cable, and restart.. and this appears:

Uninet: monitor linkstatus, link is down

My name - ibook - g4. local (console)
    Login:
    Password:

And again.. it just repeats itself.

Also, I held in apple+s and wrote /sbin/fsck - fy, let it run through and it said: Found 34 files, should be 35. HD was sucessfully reparied. Mac HD appears OK. Then I rebooted.

No luck.. all that happens is I get the light blue screen, and the mouse courser.. which works fine..

Now, after some months, I have tried restarting the machine again, just to try to find out what was appearing on the screen after I typed in user name and password...I dont know what username and password it wants anyway so I just wright jibberish.

Oh, I could not wright a password, I just had to hit enter, and this appeared:

Jan 1 01:01:21 my name-ibook-g4/system/library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

Result.. blue screen, functioning mouse.. nothing else.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Allow me to summarize:
    My OS is corrupt. What do I do?

Answer:
    You backup your data, wipe the drive and re-install everything. Or waste hours trying to tack down the numerous issues that your computer has.

Cheers

3. spider-mac thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I would just need a new instalation disk?

Restart everything?

It dosnt sound like a logic board fault, or bad harddrive?

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you can get ahold of a new install disk try that before giving up.

5. spider-mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Im trying to install a version 10.5.8.. thats Leopard, while I was using Tiger on mine.

Im expecting trouble since its a friends original plate.. I`ve read somewhere that this could cause trouble.. ie not allowing install because it "belongs" to another computer. Is this correct?

Im not able to use my original CD because I think i lost it 2-3 years ago when I moved.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Grey restore disks work only on the model they ship with. Attempting to run an install winds up with "OSx cannot be installed on this computer".

7. spider-mac thread starter macrumors newbie

8. spider-mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the Install disk, which belongs to a Macbook Pro 15". I could not install the software.

But, was able to use Tools, and verify diskrights and repair diskrights.

It both said HD is in order...

So, it looks like its the OS that is malfunctioning!?

So, buy a new OS X Tiger instalation disk.. which is expensive!! 160-80$.

Or find a used.. I just wonder how dependend is the install disk to the machine its installed to? Does it have to be a 12" Ibook G4, 1,33 mhz? Or, just a Ibook G4? ( Im thinking about the grey install disk..)