What has Little Snitch done to my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jan08, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jan08 macrumors regular

Please help! I have been happily downloading the Macheist software and setup Little Snitch. It seems I didn't quite set it up correctly for torrents as I got about 100 questions as to whether I could accept requests etc. However, when I kept hitting the spacebar to accept, my display went all "funny"/"crazy" and out of focus etc. I now can hardly see the screen as typing this in Firefox. What can I do to sort this out? All the colours are all blurred and just not at all right, when I turn on Photo Booth its all red in Normal mode - basically i'm most concerned!

Cheers in advance

2. jan08 thread starter macrumors regular

Just logged in under a different user and the screen is perfectly fine over there, but in here in admin land I can't see a thing. 2.16 C2D by the way all up to date in terms of software.

3. Siouxsie macrumors newbie

No idea, sounds really weird. I assume you uninstalled the software that caused the issue, and perhaps tried resetting the different kinds of RAM you can reset by holding keyboard shortcuts during boot?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm not sure why either but there's a couple of things you could try.

(first, I am assuming you have rebooted)

You could try resetting the PRAM (info on that here)

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    6. Release the keys.

Also here is a guide on how to do that.

Repairing permissions never hurts either. That is also explained in that guide.

Hope that helps.

5. jan08 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got hold of Applecare and it was something remarkably daft. Went into Universal Access and COntrast level and gone up to Max somehow, changed back to normal and crisis over. Felt a bit stupid tbh!

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Whenever something is wrong with input or view, Universal Access is usually the culprit.

7. JasonMac macrumors regular

JasonMac

I tried little snitch and hated it!!!! Everytime I installed a new program it would pop up and one time even popped up like 100 times in a row and I had to quit the program and disable snitch to get it working. In fact that program was joost.

8. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Why would people want to use this application?

9. iBunny macrumors 65816

So an application cant access your network/internet without your approval.

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So that's what Vista does, right? It asks you a thousand times to see if you want to grant an application permission.

I know mac's aren't perfect, but shouldn't one be less prone to attacks if he or she is using a mac?

11. magius macrumors regular

i think its useful for pirated software users not general 'attack' prevention/protection. at least thats how i see it.

12. cube macrumors G5

That's because you were using a P2P application which connects to tons of different hosts. You had to allow the application to connect anywhere, not just the current target at that moment.

13. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

People use programs like Little Snitch to prevent applications from "phoning home" to the software developer's servers and checking the validity of serial codes and such like some programs do. Usually they hope to cheat the developers out of their hard-earned livelihood. I'm sure there's other uses, but I can't think of any.

14. cube macrumors G5

Any seemingly legitimate software you download from the internet has the potential to be compromised unless you're verifying hashes (whose web pages could also be compromised anyway).

Some stuff from a not well-known source could be spyware or trojan, too.

With Java Web Start, you have digital signatures, but you should only accept those granted by a certificate authority, and whose signer you trust. If someone gets access to the certificates, he can make fake applications which look legitimate.

15. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

let me ask you something. Do you have any anti-virus software on your computer?

16. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

So that it is a less aprupt transition from Windows. :D

17. shov macrumors member

hmmm... i just had this exact same problem on my first reboot since you reported yours. running little snitch also.
    took me ages to work out it was something so simple.

18. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

Little Snitch is invaluable just so that you know what is going on. If you don't care then it's not for you, but I care which programs are planning to use my internet connection to do something. I like that I have control over that.