What have I missed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve1960, Nov 2, 2014.

1. steve1960 macrumors member

I have learned a lot from this site in a short space of time. Thanks to all of you for that.

I now use SMC fan control, I can switch off the dGPU with gfx card status and I have made sure I have bootable disc with carbon copy cloner rather than just the backups should my SSD fail.

What other feel good / safety software programs are worth downloading?

Late 2011 MBP

2. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

None. Now u can let the mac serve you, don't be a servant to your own computer.

3. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Personally, I'm not sure I'd bother with those other than Carbon Copy Cloner. It's worth taking the time to set up Time Machine though.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'm a big fan of at least some cloud storage, or at least offsite storage.

If your home or office is destroyed, or your house burgled, will your important data still be secure?

5. steve1960 thread starter macrumors member

I do use Time Machine and back up to an external RAID array and Time Capsule.

All the back ups are in my apartment though which as pointed out is risky.

I do have a fireproof / water proof safe and have been thinking about backing up to some hardware that I can lock in the safe.

6. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

That's a good point, of course.

Personally I'm lucky because the stuff I'd consider 'critical' on my Mac doesn't actually take up much space. I have a "projects" folder which I sync with DropBox.

I figure that a TimeMachine backup of my full Mac and my DropBox offsite backup of critical files is good enough for my purposes.

I guess if you have many gigs of critical data and you need an offsite backup then you may have to look at a more robust solution.

7. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Here's a few to try/consider:

Onyx - an OS X utility which allows you to verify the startup disk and the structure of its system files, to run miscellaneous tasks of system maintenance, to empty various caches that may be taking up valuable disk space, to configure some hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, QuickTime, Safari, Mail, iTunes, login window, Spotlight, and many of Apple’s applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain files and folders that may become cumbersome, etc. Not on the app store. Free from: http://www.titanium.free.fr/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1667

Temperature Gauge- If you are using SMC fan control you might want to monitor temperature of various components. Don't get the pro version as it's only advantage is to control fan speed (which you already have).

Memory Clean - tells you how much available memory you have and will flush your RAM with a single command, freeing up space that may have been previously used by other apps.

The Unarchiver - a great tool if you work with compressed archive files. It opens all the most common archive formats as well as older formats (such as StuffIt) and can also get the data out of other kinds of files, including some Windows .EXE installers.

ClipMenu - makes copy-and-paste more powerful. It allows you to manage your Clipboard history, enabling you to select which of your recently copied items you want to paste elsewhere. http://www.clipmenu.com/

Caffeine - installs a cup of coffee icon shows in your Menu. Toggle this icon to prevent your Mac from going to sleep when there's something you want it to do. Toggle it again to allow your Mac to sleep as normal. http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/

AppCleaner - to uninstall apps. It doesn't just delete the app, but also space-eating files associated with the app, such as caches and preferences. http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/