Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I have a S0 which is almost non-functional at this stage and I'm very excited about upgrading to a S4.

I ordered the S0 at 8.04am on launch day, but still had to wait 6 weeks for the delivery. Have the S1-3 pre-orders been as bad?

I ask because I'd like to buy on finance, but if it means slowing my purchase to the point where I'm waiting 6 weeks, I would almost rather push my overdraft and buy outright to get it sooner.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Massive improvements since the original watch launch. Wouldn't be surprised to see certain SS models slip to 2-3 weeks shipping fairly quickly though

Reactions: jpn

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Found these from last year...

(45 mins after preorders live) https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/iphone-8-apple-watch-3-preorder-slipping/ (2-3 weeks)

(5 hours) https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-september-22-pre-orders/ (4-5 weeks)

Gives some idea of what we may be looking at. Shouldn't have much of a wait if you get it done within a few minutes

Interesting, thanks. I wonder how much I'll risk applying for finance. Not done it through Apple before so don't know how long it takes. I'll be going to aluminium SG, assuming Apple don't do something stupid like only have the new design in SS.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Interesting, thanks. I wonder how much I'll risk applying for finance. Not done it through Apple before so don't know how long it takes. I'll be going to aluminium SG, assuming Apple don't do something stupid like only have the new design in SS.
Same. As stunning as the leak looks I'll be going aluminium too. Would really like to see some new colour options though

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With the Redesign and new features, you can guarantee that this watch will be back ordered for quite some time. It all depends on Apple suppliers and what they have lined up for available stock, but considering the Apple Watch with its popularity as it is, be prepared to either pre-order quickly or accept the wait.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Remember that the S0 was especially bad because Apple had a bunch of the haptic feedback motors fail right before they began shipping. That, combined with excitement from the launch of a brand new product kind of made for a perfect storm. But I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that preorders this year end up being the highest ever.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Remember that the S0 was especially bad because Apple had a bunch of the haptic feedback motors fail right before they began shipping. That, combined with excitement from the launch of a brand new product kind of made for a perfect storm. But I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that preorders this year end up being the highest ever.

While that’s true what you said, you’re also missing Apple had mentioned they undermined the Apple Watch demand in April 2015 and didn’t know what to expect themselves from the global launch, which they clearly had supply shortages not just for the watch itself, but for every accessory available almost immediately after the launch. (Even the blue/green/white/Black Sport bands sold separately were shipping 6/7 weeks out)There were members who didn’t even receive their watches/additional bands until four months after the initial April launch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.