What have they done? Mojave.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mikegml, Dec 1, 2018.

1. mikegml macrumors member

What have they done? I installed Mojave, OMG! My mac is screwed. I'm not exaggerating here.

Many apps no longer work or even start up. I get the beach ball with almost every click of the mouse. I here on my PC because my mini is hopelessly slow using the net either with chrome or safari. Safari which I don't use much anyway keeps crashing. DVD's don't play anymore on my superdrive. The cursor stops, crawls, and jitters all over the screen, it's that bad.

I don't use time machine so I cant roll back. My OS is on an SSD so it's usually faster than most. How do I get out of this?

2. phunigai Suspended

apple 2018 does not like apple 2017 and previous, we are supposed sleep outside an apple store and purchase what is ever shipped new that day, or just reboot your apple product to highest sierra using time machine and a external drive from a back up like you did before installing Mojave. Keep us posted, because we like you still!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    oHH nooo! no tim jobs machine? oh well, just reboot (cmd r) after a quick restart to restore . or run a 3rd party mac cleaner to remove and reset permissions like i did last year when my dumb brain thought high sierra would help my computing last year.

3. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

As I say in the post I don't use time machine.

4. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I am not experiencing anything of what you said so I cannot help you, but how anyone can help you when you haven't provided any info, you just came here to complain. Second post in this thread is even worse, it contains baseless accusations and nothing else.

5. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

What accusations? Name one. I came here to explain the problem. What info' is required apart from everything was fine with Sierra and now the Mac is super slow with Mojave.

If you cant assist then step back and take a chill pill, maybe others can.

You're just wayyyyyyyyyy too sensitive.

6. phunigai Suspended

el wrongo, I was in his situation and a 3rd party app (maccleaner i think, they all sound the same) SAVED MY MACBOOK AIR from spinning balls like this person posted, so how can an experience be wrong? that saying Jake DeGrom cannot pitch due to his 2014 era stats. a huge percentage of this website are mac users who run into problems and COMPLAIN about a crumbling company we sold our soles to years ago. since we are free to ask post and complain here, this poster has every right to do so!
    i read past that. so sorry, any luck so far?

7. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

I've no complaint about Apple. I'd just like some info on how can maybe fix this. It's obviously not a small bug but something more seriously amiss somewhere. I know others have had a slowness problem with Mojave but this is on another level. I'd like to avoid a big re-install if possible.

8. phunigai Suspended

In your purchase in app store find high sierra and downloaded that make a USB drive and reboot, http://osxdaily.com/category/mac-os-x/page/4/ has EASY tips on reinstalling OSX and i use that site quite often so this can be fixed without time machine! PS what windows device do you have?

9. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

Would it work to back up now using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner, reinstall sierra, then select the external drive when the installer asks if you want to import your files?

10. phunigai Suspended

im logging off to start drawing so i would try to fix the macs permissions in mojave then try rebooting to High sierra after all your files you like are saved incase you need to reinstall. good luck we are all county on you!

11. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Restart your computer while holding the shift key. When you see the Apple logo, let go.
    Once you have the log in screen, you should see “safe boot” in red in the top right. If so, select “restart” from the login screen.
    Safe boot will usually force your computer to refresh whatever files are mucking things up.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I just finished going through cleaning up the user account that got transferred from the 2007 iMac to the 2014 Mini after my 2018 Mini purchase.

I had to go through clean up the Fonts (duplicates and had errors), and get rid of a lot of old apps that were 32-bit and were not used anymore, and likely would cause issues with the next OS upgrade.

A lot of stuff that hadn't been updated since between 2009 and 2011.

13. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

I'll try that. I have a Windows 10 PC.
    Don't quite get you? I have CC cloner. I have a mini server model so the OS is on one drive (SSD) and all my data is on the other. It used to contain time machine backups but they were swallowing up so much space so I stopped that.

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Your problem is not related to Mojave itself. Have you tried rebooting in safe mode yet?

15. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll try that one first, seems easiest. Then I'll maybe have to download H' sierra.

16. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

This is why you never upgrade. I do not care if you use Linux, Windows or macOS. When a new major OS releases, always perform a full install instead of an upgrade.

Windows 10 seriously messed this up, especially in the earlier days with 1511 and 1607. I experienced so many issues that were similar to if you upgraded from 7 to 8 or something like that. Simple reinstall of Windows and my programs fixed the issue.

17. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Well, it restarted like you said, I've just restarted in safe mode twice. Took quite a while each time for it to restart and it seems to have fixed the 'super slow net' problem but all else remains the same. Most apps do seem to be working but it takes a couple of minutes for them to start instead of a few seconds.

18. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

There is a free program from titanium software called "Onyx."

I would download it from their site only. Make sure you get the newest version for Mojave. Under the "Maintenance" tab, click the "Run Tasks" button.

It's safe to use this. Much safer than "cleanmymac" or the other paid software. Just leave the default options in the Maintenance tab, and don't change anything unless you are sure.

It basically runs built-in tasks the systems already has, but forcing them to run now to help clean some more.

19. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

I'll give that a go.

20. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Good luck. Report back if it helps (or even if it doesn't)!

21. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Well, ran Onyx twice now, it seemed to do it's thing but it's made no difference I can see. It starts up faster for sure but it still takes an age for any app to start.

Looks like more drastic action is required?

22. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Hold Command (⌘)-R at start up to boot from the built-in macOS Recovery system.

You can run Disk Utility from there, as it can fix more things than when the computer boots from Macintosh HD.

If you are still having issue after that, you can always hold Command (⌘)-R at start up to boot from the built-in macOS Recovery system again, but choose to reinstall macOS Mojave. It won't write over your existing apps or documents. It just installs a fresh version of macOS. If you choose this, you'll need to click on the wifi icon and choose your network unless you are using ethernet.

23. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

OK, I'll give 'em a go.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

25. archer75 macrumors 68020

I'm not having your issues but after a few days my Apple Watch will stop unlocking my Mac. I recently had permissions go screwy and I had to authorize ever file I deleted. Super long file copy times but the "preparing to copy" seems to be normal for Macs.
    What's really bugging me though is my Oppo 203 sees my Mac mini share but when I go to open the share where I keep full disc rips it requests username and password. I don't have it set to need that. And when I enter it it says it's not valid. Meanwhile my windows machine has no problem connecting to my Mac shares. No username or password required.
    I have used a MacBook Air to share the shares from a windows machine to the oppo and that worked fine. The oppo only works with SMB1 so maybe Mojave doesn't use SMB1 anymore? I know a recent windows update removed that and they use SMB3.