Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
I recently did this… Void Linux on my G3. Currently trying to get XOrg to work so I can get a DE working.
0351e1e1a78b29afa8195983dbc0ee5a.jpg

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Can someone pls direct me to solution of time drift trouble? All my Linuxes (currently Deb, Gentoo & Void) configured for automatic time sunchronization & all works good, time is accurate. But when I boot to Leopard (rarely using Tiger) - time is drifted +1 hour of real. Have no idea where to look, Leopard configured for time synchronization also (my timezone is GMT+3, Moscow time).

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I picked up a 17" powerbook from goodwill for $46 this weekend (no charger included). It's in fair condition. The case is spotless except the front bezel is a little chipped up from the previous owner cracking it open to repair or replace something, and the hinges have about 1/2" play in them. Otherwise the battery still holds a charge and it works as expected. I did a fresh install of Leopard finally. Normally i just restore backups, but this time i wanted to only install software that i actually use on a normal basis. Then ran the .nib removal, language removal, intel code removal, and tweaks. I'm surprised how well Leopard runs on 1ghz.

PB17.png

I picked up a 17" powerbook from goodwill for $46 this weekend (no charger included). It's in fair condition. The case is spotless except the front bezel is a little chipped up from the previous owner cracking it open to repair or replace something, and the hinges have about 1/2" play in them. Otherwise the battery still holds a charge and it works as expected. I did a fresh install of Leopard finally. Normally i just restore backups, but this time i wanted to only install software that i actually use on a normal basis. Then ran the .nib removal, language removal, intel code removal, and tweaks. I'm surprised how well Leopard runs on 1ghz.

View attachment 1856174

Nice find! :D

That additional L3 cache atop the 1 GHz likely doesn’t hurt, either.

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
That looks like the original 17" Aluminium. The original 12" and 17" Aluminium models shipped with 7455s like the last Titanium, and the 7455 was the last notebook G4 that had the L3 cache. The next models that came after these were the 12", 15", and 17" Aluminiums with 7447s; no L3 cache but double the L2 (512k, up from 256k).

That's a nice find, especially at that condition, and it doesn't look like it's got Dead Bottom RAM Slot Syndrome. Pretty sweet win!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

View attachment 1856174
A1013.

You have my model 17" Powerbook. ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's nice. I really like the screen size / res. I don't however like the touchpad. No 2 finger scroll like on my 15". I even installed iscroll2 and it doesn't seem to work sadly.
iScroll2? From here: http://iscroll2.sourceforge.net ?

It's been a very long time since I've had to mess with that. I got it squared away years ago so not sure what your exact problem might be.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yep, that very same one. I played with all the prefs. Even rebooted a few times after changing prefs. Still nothing. Have to use the arrow keys or scroll bars, which erks me.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Updated to the last official release of TFF on both my Sawtooth and my iBook G3. I feel kind of sad, but we all knew this day was coming.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.