What have you replaced your iPhone with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mademan118, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

Alright,

This is killing me to do this, but the time has come to get rid of my iPhone. Earlier this year I quit my well paying job to go back to school and pursue a new career path, however this substantially cut my income, and the concept of need vs want is slowly setting in. I can not afford the $110 a month bill anymore being a full-time student once again.

So my question to you all is, what did you replace your iPhone with? I need to point out, it has to be something that AT&T offers and has a QWERTY keyboard.

I am not looking for just suggestions, but more for a detailed response from someone that has tried a new phone out after using the iPhone for a long amount of time.

Thanks!

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't have a suggestion, I just wanted to wish you good luck on your new career path.

3. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Going through high school I thought I wanted to go into the business world. Low and behold, after getting some hands on experience working in the corporate world as a project manager, I realized that it was not my passion. I did not care for corporate America, nor the company/companies that I would have to represent.

I have chosen to become a Physicians Assistant now! Its a huge change, but I am loving everything about it now (including school). Its amazing how grades in college reflect how much someone enjoys doing what they are doing. I went from sub 3.0 GPA as a business major to a 4.0 at this time. Plus, I am able to do what makes me happy, which is direct patient/people contact.

Words of encouragement is always greatly appreciated! It is definitely hard times right now, not only is my iPhone going, but my brand new car, along with other amenities. Again, it breaks down to needs vs wants.

Once again, thank you!

4. monkeytennis macrumors member

My advice is move to the UK, where my iPhone plan has cut my bills in 1/3.

:)

5. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly would love to move to the UK, my uncle even owns several flats in London in which I could stay at. Maybe after I finish school.

I wish it cut my bills by 1/3. I just want to get rid of the data plan completely, and go strictly unlimited text messaging.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) Why in the hell are you paying $110/month? I have an iPhone and 2 other phones and pay $100. If I had the 3G, it would be $110. You need to start by getting rid of some stuff if it's just the one phone. You shouldn't be paying more than $75/month for the standard iPhone plan. Add $5 for 200 texts and you're at $80.

2) If the above can't be done, you should cut back by not buying into the whole "I have no social life without text messages" thing if that's part of it. I will never get the appeal of text messages with the insane costs they add. Of course the providers shouldn't charge such a jack rate, especially when you pay for "unlimited data."

3) I just got my dad a Sony Ericcson w580i for free with a 2-year contract. It's not qwerty, but it looks like a very good free phone. The media player looks decent (there's a shortcut button on the front for it).

7. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

1) After my voice plan and iPhone data plan, the total comes out to $99. Throw in taxes its $110.

My phone is my only piece of communication, I do not have a home phone. I tried using the 450 minutes/month plan, but I went insanely over. Plus I am only on the 900 minutes a month right now to build up some roll over minutes, and will probably switch over to the 450 again.

2) Text Messaging is quite useful actually. It allows me to not talk on my phone which keeps me below my monthly anytime minutes. I would rather get rid of the data portion of the plan (which is what i will be doing) because that is more useless then anything, considering I carry my laptop with me everywhere.

3) I will definately give the SE a look. Thanks!

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Can't you just tell your carrier you want to be some super cheap ass plan, and keep the phone you currently have?

Buying a whole new phone, and doing that whole song and dance all over again, sounds expensive.

9. ceiph macrumors regular

call att cancel the data portion of your plan. or go online and do it. if you like the iphone and just need to stop using data it seems simple enough.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So do you need data services or are you planning on giving them up? I guess I'm kind of lost...

If you canceled your data plan, that cost is the exact same cost associated with any other phone from AT&T with the same number of minutes and SMS, isn't it? So are you going to try and sell your iPhone for a profit to subsidize your monthly costs, or ... wouldn't it be more cost effective to cancel data on the iPhone and keep using it than to buy another phone and pay the same monthly fees plus the cost of the phone?

As for the cost of SMS... the SMS is what... 5% of your total bill cost? It doesn't seem like it's really the driver behind the amount you're paying.

And are you on contract or is changing to a cheaper provider than AT&T an option for you?

P.S. Congratulations on your change in directions... it sounds like it's been really good for you.

11. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I know you said you need to stay on AT&T... but do you have MetroPCS in your area? It could be a huge cost cutter & great replacement for a home phone. $40 a month for UNLIMITED voice, text, & data.

12. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Major respect for following what you want to do. I often thought about quitting my job and going back to uni to do medicine. Unfortunately I am married with twins on the way so can't afford to. I dont mind, my wife is pretty sexy and having twins to me is pretty special.

Anyway my point is we looked at getting rid of our iphones to save a few quid but genuinely couldnt find any phone plan that was any better that offered even half of what we can do with the iphone. We live in the UK though. Sorry I know that doesnt really help but if you do decide to move over you would like it here......

13. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to get rid of the data plan, for ANY phone that I have. Currently it adds $20 a month to my bill which I would like to get rid of because I do not need it.

I should also clarify, I have the 1st Gen iPhone.

$59 a month for voice
    $40 a month for unlimited text/data

totals 99 + tax = 110

I just want
    $59 for voice
    20$ for text

save $20 a month total.

I know $20 doesnt seem like a lot, however my transportation cost has transported due to my school being on the other side of the island (live in Hawaii). Also, I thought that you HAD to have the data plan on the 1st Gen iPhone
    ?

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

The screen was kind of small so i got this one instead.

big phone.jpg

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK you can just cancel it now through the AT&T online system. That may have changed, though. So yeah, essentially, if you did that, you'd save the money instantly and not have to bother with the investment in a new phone. That was kind of my point.

Otherwise, the major way you'd save money is if, as I mentioned, you were not on contract. The $60 voice part of the AT&T deal is not particularly competitive... But if that's a fixed entity, what you should do immediately is investigate canceling your data, which, again, I think you can do.

If you decide to sell your phone later, if you unlock it, you can currently get ... $300-375 for it, depending on condition, if you are even slightly patient. So you could get a reasonably good $100 phone and then use the $200-275 net difference to fund a few months of your contract. But you have to really determine for yourself if that's worth it.

16. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

MK,

Thank you! I will need to call AT&T as I am looking at my account online and it doesn't mention anything about being in a contract right now.

If you have the 3G iPhone, you are required by contract to have a data plan correct?

And looking on craigslist, most iPhones are going for 250-300. I put it up for $225 and immediately had people lining up to buy it.

Thank you for all your advice!

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Aren't you locked into a contract? You quit your job and then paid an ETF because you couldn't afford your phone?

19. reliantj macrumors 6502

you could work part time at a best buy, like myself.
    i'm only getting 2-3 days a week which is great for
    being a full time student.

plus they have best buy mobile and sell the iphone.
    and as best buy employees we get 20% off our
    monthly bills. not to mention the other discounts
    and benefits.
    but even if you didn't want to go with an iphone,
    you could go with another phone and still get the
    20% off your bill!

20. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it was mentioned, but if you are going to school, check to see if you can get a discount on your bill through your school's email/affiliation. Plus drop the plan to a lower level and call in to ask for the extra 200min free (code floating around somewhere)

21. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Im in highschool, before I got a part time job to pay for my phone I got a really cheap phone with pay as you go, saved me a lot of money.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

In all seriousness, how do you talk for more than 450 minutes every month? I can't even do that if I try because I end up using the minutes after 9 p.m. or on weekends. Maybe things are different in Hawaii, but can you cut down on your talk time?

Everybody has different needs, but I know I could easily live on the 450 minutes plan with zero text messages. I could get by with 200, but they won't let you get rollover (or a family plan) with anything less than the $39.99 plan.

You're also getting jacked on those taxes. Mine are about $5/month in Georgia.

23. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

I used to work for bestbuy actually :), along with apple! Job won't be a problem once I finish this semester off, as I am going to work in a hospital (Need Medical terminology for that)!

Michael:

I used to believe the samething, how do I actually talk more then 450 minutes a month!! I had the 450 anytime minutes without any problems for 3 years, but just recently I burned through all 1000 rollever minutes, plus my 450 minutes, and went over by another 300 minutes!! Talk about overage charges! But you know what, you are right. I can be under 450 minutes. I am going to go change that online right now!

Neesh:

Thanks for the tips man!

Cheapa:

I did look into that and they do have a discount which I am now taking a part in. Save about 15% of my bill each month now ($16). Its something!

Ryan:

I still have AT&T, but am eligible for an upgrade at this time. I was thinking of upgrading to a cheaper phone, canceling my data plan, and now am going to reduce my talk time.

MK:

Thanks once again, I will definitely look into that!

24. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Changed my rate plan to the 450 minute plan, however you can not remove the data plan from the iPhone. Rep said that it is monitored and they will automatically re-add the feature to your contract. I know this can all be BS, but I just don't want to deal with it.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent