What HD are you using for Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 2, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I ordered this today after reading GREAT reviews.
    LaCie Rugged Hard Disk
    FireWire 800, FireWire 400 & Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    320GB
    [​IMG]

Show us what you're using.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

3. iamvexed macrumors member

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

5. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

6. minik macrumors 65816

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

WD MyBook 1 terabyte. I have it (and 2 500GB MyBooks) hooked up to AEBS. Works swimmingly with my MBP, but not with a G5 iMac for some reason. Have to use USB-attached drive for iMac.

8. drfp25 macrumors member

lacie 500 gb Porsche USB 2.0

I love this drive, and as a plus it's design and color match my iMac

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Seagate FreeAgent USB.

They got me with the 5-year warranty.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

NewerTech ministack 160GB connected to my Airport Extreme N router.

11. signatus macrumors member

signatus

Hi there!
    Apparently it seems that all of you are NOT using Time Capsule for Time Machine. Is there a reason for not using Time Capsule?
    I need to buy a HD to backup my MBP (and if possible store other stuff too) and I'm in doubt whether to buy a Time Capsule or another HD.
    What about IOmega's Ultramax 1 TB HD with Firewire + USB connections?
    More info on http://store.apple.com/es/product/T...mac_accessories/storage&mco=MjQ3ODgw#overview

12. danny_w macrumors 601

WD MyBook USB/FW via Airport Extreme USB (Airdisk).

13. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Funny you mention this because I was in the same boat like a week ago. Wanted to get the time capsule to keep the Apple theme going and for when I get a laptop. But I couldn't justify the cost when I already have a wireless router and a HD with more or equal capacity would cost less. I decided to get the IOmega Ultramax 750GB HD. It hooked right up fine and I partitioned it with Disk Utility easy as pie. The drive has been fine so far but it is actually louder than my iMac (iMac is damn near silent). I going to find a longer fw800 cable to set it away from the desk so I won't hear it as much.

I figured I'd get the HD now and IF I choose to get the TC later I'll just have extra storage for my laptop that I'll get down the road.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'm using a Western Digital Mybook 500Gb "Essential Edition".

It works well enough, I also have it partitioned though and use the other partition for films.

15. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

16. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

17. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

18. danny_w macrumors 601

I had a Time Capsule when they first came out and had issues with it locking up and/or restarting by itself. I took it back and got an AEBS some months later. Now I use the AEBS with an external drive, which gives basically the same effect as a Time Capsule but runs cooler and bandwith is slightly less. It has worked pretty well for me running Time Machine from 2 Macs (the backups stall occasionally but I cancel and it recovers fine), but I use an external WD MyBook USB at work hooked directly to my iMac and it works flawlessly (and silently too I might add). Altogether I now have 3 of the WD MyBook drives and couldn't be more pleased.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Speed is the biggest problem with Time Capsule for large hard drives - even over 802.11n speeds are pretty low. I use a WD MyBook Studio 1TB over firewire 800 to backup my iMac, a variety of USB drives for my MacPro and a WD 2.5" USB drive plugged into my AEBS for my MBA (not using Time Capsule for that because I already had the AEBS)

20. danny_w macrumors 601

I agree that it is much slower over wireless than direct connect, but it is so convenient that it is worth it to me (at home - I use direct connect at work).

21. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

I was thinking of buying a WD MyBook Studio but heard mixed reviews. I guess that is the case with any drive really. But noise is a big thing with me. I can't even tell my iMac is on at times and this IOmega is just too loud. I think I'm gonna exchange it for the WD.

22. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

23. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I'm deciding whether to get another hard drive. I have a Mac Mini which I want to use as my media hub, so I guess I won't need time machine on that. I used to love and use Super Duper! all the time... but now I have a MBP as my main computer, I am thinking I should get with the program and have time machine... FW800 would be a good idea I am thinking...

24. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I just use a WD 500 IDE drive in a macally FW400 external case, has worked well so far, I will upgrade to a TB drive sometime when they reach below $120.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

Time Machine and SuperDuper! are for different purposes; don't just go with TM and ditch SD, you can use both (I do, as well as many others).