What HD are you using for your BOOT Drive/Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gunga Din, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I'm close to purchasing my first Mac. Which HD are you all ordering for your mac pro if your not using their stock?

I was thinking about ordering and 500-750GB for the main, a 150GB Raptor for my PC junk and using the stock for Time Machine. Is it ok if I use the Stock for Time Machine if my Main HD (the one i'm gonna back up) is larger?

I was thinking about a WD (good history with them). Which WD HD would u suggest?

The Raptor came in the mail yesterday. I'm just trying to pick the Main HD to order before my Mac Pro arrives.

2. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I haven't bought my MP yet (waiting for 10.5.2 and 8800GT) but I already have two 150GB Raptors waiting (for OS and audio) and a 1TB for Time Machine. I'm going to use the stock 320 drive for Windows. I bought the three drives from newegg.

3. Neo42 macrumors newbie

I'm awaiting my 3.0GHz/8800GT as well, but have these drives waiting:

OS & Apps: WD Raptor X 150GB (Top Speed)
    Data: Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB (Fast/Quiet/Efficient)
    Vista & XP: 320GB Stock Drive
    Time Machine: External LaCie drive (perhaps a Drobo soon)

Drives were purchased from NewEgg very reasonably after reviews and comparisons from Tomshardware.com and Anandtech.com

Looking at a different mounting option for the Raptor X: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Mac...ay/2008_MacPro_HD_in_OpticalBay.html#storytop

4. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I am using a Seagate 7200.10 ATA-100 750GB HDD in the optical drive bay as my main drive (optical drive is removed).

I have another 500 GB Western Digital as my "archives" drive (in second optical drive bay).

Both of these back up to my Time Machine disc, which is 3 x 500 GB Western Digital drives in JBOD.

Finally, the original 320 GB drive that came with my machine has my Windows Partition.

That's 3 terabytes of storage... probably enough for now...