What HD model is in the WD My Passport Elite ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcl, May 16, 2008.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Anyone that has installed this in your MBP - What model Scorpio HD is in the WD - My Passport Elite ? - the slower 1.5Gb/s or the faster 3.0Gb/s

Just picked up the New Western Digital 320GB - My Passport Elite in So. Cal. Costco Retail Store

:DGOOD DEAL: $ 169.99 - $ 30 coupon = $ 139.99 + tax - Coupon in May 15 - June 1 Booklet

also available online w/ $10 shipping http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280356&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

Elite comes with 5 year warranty and Costco offers an excellent return anytime policy.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Most likely the Scorpio, as that's the only 2.5" WD drive that supports 320GB (assuming that's the capacity you got).

That one is $139 at a lot of places--I was just at Circuit City today and saw it for that price (but I was actually there to get a Bamboo--$69!).

3. dcl thread starter macrumors regular

dcl

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

That one is "Essential", he is posting about "Elite" version. Don't ask me about the differences though. :)

By the way, Costco seems to charge $10 for shipping that drive and the coupon is just for online offers, so the total cost is $150 + tax.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Considering they only have one drive at that capacity & size, it's a bit much extra for a different shell, from the looks of it.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Why wouldn't you just buy a regular internal drive? Buying a passport and taking the drive out voids the warranty on the drive, so if you have any problems you're out $130. Easier to just buy a WD Scorpio from newegg and get an enclosure for your old drive.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe a Hitachi or Samsung? :p

Actually another member did the same swap and they checked the internal drive warranty and it was covered.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That would be correct. The drive itself would still be covered as its sealed. The enclosure, well, who cares? Besides, I can get it WITH the enclosure for the same price as the bare drive, anyway.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

According to my retailer the differences is what you get with the drive.
    The essential only holds a 10-inch usb cable and thats it. The Elite features some software more cabling etc.

I bought an essential three days ago and that one had a WD3200BEVT-11ZCT0 in it.

According to System Profiler the SATA device on the MBP (SR 2.2) is a 1.5gbit
    Intel ICH8-M AHCI:
    Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're worried about the 1.5Gbit SATA just get a pair of tweezers and remove the SATA jumpers. It won't improve anything; I've tried.