Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I have an old MacBook that I would like to donate, and first need to put a new HDD in it.

The MacBook is white, plastic and from around 2007 or 2008.

It had Snow Leopard on it.

I used the original HDD for backups, and have since destroyed it.

Are there any particular specifications I need to be aware of when I buy a new HDD for this so that it will work?

I just want to buy a check HDD so I can install Snow Leopard and have a working computer to donate.

Technology changes so quicly that I am afraid a new HDD might be too thick or not be compatible from a technical standpoint.

Any ideas?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
As mentioned above, any laptop drive (2.5" HDD) will work absolutely fine. Whichever storage size you want. It's massively unlikely you'd find any 12.5mm thick HDDs unless you were actively looking for them.

If you're not too sure, quote this post with an Amazon/eBay link of what you were looking to get, and we can happily give you the thumbs up :)

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
As mentioned above, any laptop drive (2.5" HDD) will work absolutely fine. Whichever storage size you want. It's massively unlikely you'd find any 12.5mm thick HDDs unless you were actively looking for them.

If you're not too sure, quote this post with an Amazon/eBay link of what you were looking to get, and we can happily give you the thumbs up :)

I am looking on NewEgg.

Which of these interfaces will work?

Any
SAS 12Gb/s
SATA
SATA 3.0Gb/s
SCSI Ultra320 80pin
SATA 1.5Gb/s
SATA 6.0Gb/s
IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6
Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
SAS 3Gb/s
IDE Ultra ATA66 / ATA-5
SAS 6Gb/s
Fibre Channel 4Gb/s

Also, what is a "refurbished" HDD?

For my purposes, would buying one be safe/responsible?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am looking on NewEgg.

Which of these interfaces will work?

You want a SATA interface 2.5 inch drive. The SATA interface speeds does not matter as SATA is backwards compatible. A refurb would be fine if you just want to get it running to donate IMO.

I went to Newegg and searched for refurbs sorted by lowest price and this one comes up that would work just fine.

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 8.29.53 AM.png

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
You want a SATA interface 2.5 inch drive. The SATA interface speeds does not matter as SATA is backwards compatible. A refurb would be fine if you just want to get it running to donate IMO.

I went to Newegg and searched for refurbs sorted by lowest price and this one comes up that would work just fine.

View attachment 637974

Hey, thanks for the tip! :)
[doublepost=1467044168][/doublepost]So what exactly is a "refurbished" HDD?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"Refurbished" is not the same as "Used - pulled from another computer", if that is your real question.
My view of "refurbished" means "restored to factory specs - passes manufacturer's testing - same as a new device?

A "refurbished" Mac, for example, is individually rebuilt, and Apple provides a new serial number.
There are a specific set of serial numbers that are refurbished-only

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
"Refurbished" is not the same as "Used - pulled from another computer", if that is your real question.
My view of "refurbished" means "restored to factory specs - passes manufacturer's testing - same as a new device?

A "refurbished" Mac, for example, is individually rebuilt, and Apple provides a new serial number.
There are a specific set of serial numbers that are refurbished-only

A "refurbished" HDD sounds like a "refurbished" condom to me...

Reactions: thats all folks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Refurbished" is not the same as "Used - pulled from another computer", if that is your real question.

That would be my take on it also. Presumably these are drives that were returned for whatever reason and the manufacturer tested them out to make sure there are no problems, then sells them as a refurb.
[doublepost=1467061959][/doublepost]
A "refurbished" HDD sounds like a "refurbished" condom to me...
Yes... but unlike the condom, this has a warranty and you can just return it if there is a problem. :D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Or, just ignore those refurbished, or used, or "re-cycled", etc. hard drives.
Nothing wrong with purchasing brand new drives :D

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
That would be my take on it also. Presumably these are drives that were returned for whatever reason and the manufacturer tested them out to make sure there are no problems, then sells them as a refurb.
[doublepost=1467061959][/doublepost]
Yes... but unlike the condom, this has a warranty and you can just return it if there is a problem. :D

That and it doesn't have quite that "icky" feeling (or STDs)!!!
[doublepost=1467069887][/doublepost]
Or, just ignore those refurbished, or used, or "re-cycled", etc. hard drives.
Nothing wrong with purchasing brand new drives :D

For a laptop I am donating, a refurb will do. For my own use - I'll pass.

Reactions: Weaselboy

victoriususm

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
Well... for experience, I recommend you a SSD disk, with 256Gb you probably have enough.

You win velocity in a old computer

Hope help you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.