What HDD for MBP early 08' 4,1 ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikes70mustang, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I asked about this maybe a year or so ago. Im now within 10gb of being out of room on my stock hard drive and need to find a replacement soon. I can't decide between the WD scorpio blue and a Seagate Momentus XT. I know the 750gb has a 6gbs sata connection but my MBP only has a 1.5 connection. So, im not really sure if either of the XT's are worth the money or if i should stick with a WD SB. I would also gladly accept some recommendations about other drives that work well. Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The Seagate Momentus's series of HDD's are a favorite and very popular brand for many here on MacRumors. I had one myself in a 2006 MBP (2,2) and it worked great. You're going to be limited to the speed of the logic board HDD interface, so you're going to have to overlook the the potential loss of speed from the HDD.

You should be able to find a good drive from OWC here that will work on your computer.

The Western Digital's tend to create more problems than the Seagate drives do, especially with the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) built into the laptops. If you do end up getting a WD and experience lockups, you can always try disabling the SMS.

Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor

3. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yeah. I realize that the XT will basically have more performance than my computer can handle. But I just didn't know if the performance difference between the XT and the blue was worth the money.