What HDD for Time Machine back ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamin00, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Are there any in particular that are better than others?

Want a 1tb or 2tb to use as a Time Machine backup which I will probably contact to my Asus RT87U router at home.

Thanks

2. jksu macrumors regular

any will work. we got a 2tb seagate portable usb drive at costco - works fine and no need for power plug like the older bulky drive it replaced

3. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Yes thanks.

However, does anyone or is it even possible to back up my MBP to a cloud service?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... they are all pretty much the same. Just grab whatever you can find on sale.

Sure... there are lots of "cloud" based backup services like Crashplan and BackBlaze.

5. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I figure I could just use my Dropbox and only sync the files I want to rather than backing up everything like I was on a Time Machine back up.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Dropbox is not really designed as a backup service, but more of a sync service. It is risky using it as your first line of defense for backups.

7. jksu macrumors regular

i use icloud for my photos and iphone. and also backup via time machine to a drive attached to our airport extreme. all of this happens without any work on my part.

but once a month i do a carbon copy to another usb drive that goes in a fire proof safe

8. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

Check out the reviews on the G-technology USB 3.0 4tb desktop hard drive, decent price and good reliability. Desktop drives usually fare better than portables. Upper end wd's come in second for me.

Always a good idea to keep a hard drive stationary when in use(non SSD), heads, spinning plater, you get the picture.