What headphone?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by hannesoth, May 5, 2014.

1. hannesoth macrumors newbie

Hey. At the moment I don't have any headphones since my Earpods broke and my JAYS aswell. Therefore I'm looking for a new nice pair of headphone. It does not really matter if they are in-ear or over-hear.

It's important for me that they have a great amount of bass. They have to be good looking since I will take them to school and other places. It does not really matter if they have a control mic or not. I would not like to pay more than 150$.

I've been looking at Bose AE2 and Bose 0E2 but I've not tested them yet. I think I will do that soon. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

You usually get what you pay for but I think Bose products are generally a little over priced.

Sound quality is one thing and that can depend somewhat on the type of music you're listening to. Then there is fit, comfort and utility differences.

I would go with well regarded brands like Shure, Sennheiser and others.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed. This is an area where you do get what you pay for,

Personally, I love the entire Bowers & Wilkins range, although they are not cheap. Within that, my own personal favourites is not the flagship - the P7s - product (which is outstanding), but, rather, the Bowers & Wilkins P5s, which I find excellent (stylish, great audio quality, beautifully crafted, exceedingly portable, and extremely comfortable on account of the soft leather ear pads).

However, in addition to Shure, and Sennheiser (both of which are excellent) others, such as Audio Technica, and Grado are also very good.

And, another name from the distant past (remember the large speakers which featured in photographs of many a Beatles' concert?), namely, Marshall, has just produced a lovely mid price range headphone, which is very well made, - as one would expect - a lovely size, and is supposed to be excellent.

4. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I was mighty impressed with the Shure SRH 840. Super cheap, but it competes with the way more expensive headphones (think of Sennheiser Momentus and B&W P7). Great money / sound quality ratio.

If you got more money to spend, check out the Focal Spirit Pro headphones.

5. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Maybe a little over your price range ($200), but the Sennheiser HD-25 II is a great on the go headphone. It sounds like this is what you're looking for.

6. genshi, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014

genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

This question comes up almost every week on every music forum and you will always get the widest range of opinions from everyone... but there is a reason why the Sony MDR-7506 is the industry standard in most of the top level recording studios, film sets and broadcast control rooms (I've worked in all of these industries.)

They can afford whatever they want, but you'll see engineers always wearing the Sony MDR-7506. I've been using them for a little over 20 years and I always test out other headphones (including much higher priced ones) and always go back to the Sonys. List price $129 but you should be able to find them for no more than $99.

Hope that helps.

7. alex0002 macrumors 6502

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Another vote for the M50/M50x from AT. The 50 will run about $109, the newer 50x about $169 (street prices). The 50x detachable cord is very handy, but sonically they're the same.

The M50s work extremely well with just about any music genre, with or without an amp and are very comfortable for a closed design.

:cool:

9. zyr123 macrumors 6502

10. Miguel760 macrumors member

11. fazel macrumors newbie

I have a pair of these:

Sony MDR-7250 which I believe are an ungraded version of the 7506's. Super, but much more expensive...these are neutral headphones though.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

Actually not. You can get really good headphones for $100. Yes they make more expensive ones but if you look at peole who do audio for a living and can afford whatever they want you see them using something like the Sony MDR-7506 or the AKG K240. Both sell for about $100. The MDR-7506 is best for general use being a closed back design it keep sound from leaking in or out. The K240 is ideal for use by engineers in a quiet environment like a recording studio.

For your use case, using them on public transit, the gym or whatever the MDR-7506 are good. However I use the in-ear type which are not as good but much smaller.

The two headphones listed above are not stylish and have a 25+ year old "look" to them but if you wear them people will think you must work in the industry - MOST of the motion picture and audio recording you hear are make with one of these two headphones.

13. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

If you're on a tight budget and are looking for decent looking headphones, the Panasonic RP-htx7 is a cheap choice. Been told by many, as well as my usage, that they are surprisingly good for their price. Granted once you've "upgraded" to better headsets like the one's previous mentioned, they'll most likely be abandoned. Bass is decent and considering you came from earpods and Jaybirds you should hear a substantial difference in quality as well as any of the excellent choices mentioned above.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only reason to get a Bose earphone is if you fly a lot because nobody beats their active noise cancellation. I keep one for this purpose and it's great.

And you would have to get the QC3/QC15. Otherwise skip Bose entirely.

15. UBS28, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014

UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Hell no.

It's almost like suggesting that some $300 reference monitors are ideal in a recording studio.

16. flyingmanatee macrumors member

To expand on UBS28's previous post.

The MDR-7506s are used mostly in TV/Film as a standby, they're not especially a good headphone, a bit bright and dead in the lower midrange. I'd actually label them bad and I'd wish they'd go away, but that's just me. They do a reasonable job of blocking out external noise, they're foldable, rugged and they are affordable. They gained a reputation in the early 90s back before most people were very familiar with high quality headphones, and have been grandfathered in despite superior options existing, especially in the hyper competitive market of today. The 7506s are based of the V6s which date back to the 80s. I prefer the V6s to the 7506s personally.

I wish I could wax philosophical on the AKG K240 but I've never used them. I'd certainly cast doubt that that these are ideal based on price alone. However I could be wrong.

In my personal opinion, There isn't a correct studio headphone, I tend to be a fan of Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pros which are reference but I can listen to them without ear fatigue for hours and hours and they're as comfy as headphones get which is really nice bonus. They're not the "correct" answer as they're anything but flat but I'm in the school of thought that reference isn't correct as when mixing on close to flat frequency response means correcting for the fact almost no one outside of audio engineers use flat frequency responses. Those who prefer flat aren't wrong especially they get the results, and I'm not right.

I'd also toss in for the Sennheiser HD-600s or HD-650s, which never let me down. I've known a few mixers who use Grado headphones, and others with just Audio Technica cans. After a certain point you start experiencing the law of diminished returns which differs from individual to individual.

For the most part I don't ever use closed cans as they're always problematic at with boomy/boxy bass. If I need to block out sound I'd rather go to something like the Klipsch X11i earbuds, as they'll block out more sound that noise canceling closed earphones can without penalty of noise canceling on the sound stage.

17. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Sennheiser, or go for some of the pro AKG range - I still own a pair of these and they were super cheap (like £75) and they blow everything else I've used out of the water for sound reproduction.

Definitely worth a look :eek:

18. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have the Bose OE2 and they are great for air travel - they fold up small and do a really good job of minimizing the noise from the jet engines. But if I listen to them at home in a quiet room…. they sound terrible. I think they have tweaked the response to work well in an airplane cabin. I would recommend them if you travel by air frequently, or if you want to block out loud ambient noise in other situations and want something compact. I would not recommend them for the quality of the sound for general home use.

I also have the Sony MDR-7506 and they are terrific. I use them with Logic Pro and also with my professional HD video camera. The sound is a little "bright" (heavy on the high frequencies) but I kind of like that. They are certainly not something I would want to carry around for general use though.

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, you don't get really good speakers for $300/pr but for $100 you get the "Industry Standard" headphone. The one that is actually used for real work.

Watch what the "sound guy" is using on any major motion picture or TV production or in music recording studios. They could afford whatever they want but you just don't see them using expensive consumer headphones. Nice speakers, yes you see that.

----------

If you are cheap, one way to remove high ambient noise is to use in-ear monitors (earbuds) and place hearing protection type ear cups over the ears. The same kind those people who work outdoors near airplane use. They are cheap and block the sound of airplane engines. Everyone will think you work at an airport if you use them but, heck they are low cost and work and the over all result is better than the Bose noise canceling headphones.

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

The K240 is likely the best on the market but it is very specialized because it can only be used in a quiet environment. Also they can NOT be used by an artist for recording, only by the engineer. That is because they "leak" out the sound and it would leak into any open microphone. So if you are singing or playing guitar to a guide-track, that guide track will get picked up. But this is why the cost is so low, at only $100. It is very, easy to make headphone if the shells are vented. The hard part in headphone design is dealing with the air that is compressed by the "back" sides of the diaphragms. If you the diaphragm into the closed cans yo have back pressure to deal with. But the K240 solves this by not having closed cans, the sound is allowed to radiate outwards into the room. Also no attempt at all is made to block ambient noise. Because of these tradeoffs the K240 has nearly perfect sound. But if you wear K240 at a buss stop everyone around you will hear your music.

The old 7506 is NOT universally used because some people really do not like them. But the vast majority of pros working in the industry think they are suitable for the highest level of professional work, that is in major motion picture sound recording. Even if you don't like them, I prefer the K240 for listening, you HAVE to own a pair if you are doing any serious work. Because of their low price and sturdy fold up design they are good to drag around with out outdoors for listing on public transit or whatever.

21. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

If you listen to the AKG K240S it is not neutral, slow drivers and lacks details. This is far from the ideal studio headphones. I have the AKG K240S myself which was my first studio headphone.

There are Grammy nominated engineers who are using $1000+ headphones. I guess they bought the wrong headphone since the AKG K240S is the ideal headphone in the studio huh?