What I didn't know...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook yes, Jun 3, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

Did you know that when you turn the brightness all the way down it doesn't turn the display completely off? I didn't, and i spent the past 15 minutes using everything imaginable, including a little bit of windex, to try to clean off a bunch of "finger smudges", that I finally realized were icons.

And did you know that when you hold down the command button, it scrolls smoother but lower. I couldn't figure why all of the sudden it was scrolling so sluggishly, then I realized I was holding down the apple button so links would open in a new tab.

Oh the things you learn...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

By turning down the brightness, you turn down the backlighting, not the display itself.
    It was most prominent with the iBook, where you still could navigate with the backlight off.

Also, I don't experience the smoother scrolling while the Cmd key is pressed.
    Have you any kind of scroll enhancing software installed like Smart Scroll?

3. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

None, no extra software, and I'm just using the trackpad.

Another thing... I just read that you should never use windex on the screen. It was a quick squirt on a cloth from about a foot a way because I just wanted a little bit. Did I just ruin my new uMB's screen?

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

No, it's made out of glass. Aluminium isn't a reactive metal, though ammonia may corrode it after several years of daily exposure. Not that the two elements react together specifically, rather it's the ions and differences in charges that may wear down the anodization.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Also, if you hold Option (alt) and scroll, it takes you through your history of webpages ;O

6. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

So my screen is fine? whew...

Thanks, thats rather annoying. I hope I don't accidentally hold that down sometime and end up going back in time instead of scrolling down a page...

7. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

Didn't know that - thanks!

8. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Wasn't aware of this, although I believe the three finger swipe in Safari works a little nicer. Anyone know if their is an add on in firefox that gives you the 3 finger swipe as given in Safari?

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

You can however turn off the screen by assigning it to a Hot Corner on the screen. I use this a lot when I'm at uni and need to keep my battery alive in long lectures.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You can actually still read web pages in the right light. :D

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, I remember those days. What a shame that those new Unibody models have no transparent aluminum. Proves that Scotty hasn't been here and Spock did change the future.

To Skeletal-daemon: Isn't that the same as turning off the backlight?

And to all the shortcuts with Cmd or Option + scrolling: it doesn't work for me, do one has to enable it somehow?

12. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just doing the 2-finger scrolling with my trackpad. If you drag the scroll bar nothing special happens.

13. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Nope, it cuts all power to the screen entirely, if you hold it under bright light you can see that nothing is at all visible, unlike turning off the backlight which leaves the actual image on the screen plain to see.

14. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You can also press Control+Shift+Eject to sleep the display.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Two finger scroll on my UMB is doing both activities for me. I didn't know about either of'em!

Also, I just tried and found out Control+two finger scroll does a zoom-in/out sort of thing on that portion of your screen, kind of like the magnifier tool in Windows, but the whole screen, not in a pane at the top.

16. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

well. windex has alcohol which will cause the protective material on your screen to corrode. believe it or not, i use baby wipes to clean my screen. its exactly like iclear:non alcoholic but a bit thicker. if you ever do get dead pixels, white spots, or a physical lcd crack, DONT mention using windex on ur screen ;)

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The ammonia in windex is also something that'll mess with certain surfaces. The alcohols in there shouldn't harm the glass, but they can streak/stain/damage plastics. (assuming the MB "glass" cover is pure glass, which I don't know if it is)

18. mathieuheartmac macrumors member

I am using firefox beta 3. (I think it is 3...I am not on my macbook right now so I can't check.) The beta has 3 finger swipe for going backwards and forwards through webpages.

19. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I might mention this and don't hate me but if you see the recommended cleaning instructions, the first item is usually turn off your MacBook and unplug the power. I know.... who really does that but it would be a screen brightness solution as well as a safety issue. -GDF