What I do now ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lassonde, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Lassonde macrumors newbie

For 6 months now, my Macbook Pro is taking a long time to startup(about 45-50 seconds). Once it's started, it's nearly as fast as it was when I bought it. I've done almost everything possible to solve that problem, but it still takes so much time to startup. I know it's not a ''huge'' problem... it's only annoying when I want to use it to get some information quickly.

I only use 50gb of 250gb on my HDD.
    Here are the specs of my computer:
    -2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    -4 Go 1067 MHz DDR3
    -NVIDIA GeForce 320 256MB
    -Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2

Should I try to format my mac ?

Thanks

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

as Miles said its fine to leave in sleep mode all the time when not using it, no need to shut down every day or even every couple days.

mine is a much new machine and it takes about 30-40 seconds to boot, did yours boot much faster in the past?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Replace the HDD with an SSD or Seagate Momentus XT drive.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's a perfectly normal startup time for a platter hard drive, why are you complaining?

If it bothers you this much, leave it on sleep mode or buy an SSD for it. Formatting will not do a single thing for you.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Verify that the start up disk is correctly selected. System Properties> Start up Disk.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Seagate Momentus XT drives don't do ****. I've got one.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't shut my MBP down but rather put it to sleep. Start up is immediate

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I should have specified the newer 750GB XT.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Each user seems to have a different experience with these, as when I had mine installed (before the SSD upgrade that was needed for work), mine changed the boot times for the better, and opened frequently used apps faster than a standard drive, otherwise I agree the changes weren't drastic (although it was faster marginally than the 5400 drive that was in there).

And I had the 500GB version (older one, although it didn't see the increase until SD25 or SD28 for firmware).

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, its weird... One thing the Momentus XT did do was increase my battery life, which is really strange, since its a 7200RPM and I came from the stock 5400 :confused:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

my mbp takes ~53 seconds to boot on average... but that's with filevault enabled. doesn't sound too off average though.

13. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

Sleep or upgrading to an SSD is really going to be the only options. or possibly replacing the optical drive with an SSD for booting specifically, then saving all your data on the HDD to save on costs

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

15. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Not true. My boot time is 27 seconds after and was 55 before. And my app startup is noticeable faster.

It breathed new life into a nearly five year old machine and startup time is just about as fast as with the ssd I has that failed

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

Doesn't that come into play when you log in?

17. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"For 6 months now, my Macbook Pro is taking a long time to startup(about 45-50 seconds)"

Mine takes a while to start up, too -- at least 30-40 seconds (perhaps more, never timed it).

I accept that as "normal" (at least for a computer that doesn't have an SSD installed).

The Windows computers I've used (not many) take far FAR longer.

For some reason, I find Snow Leopard to take longer to boot up than previous OS's (in my case, compared to Tiger, 10.4.11), and Lion takes as long or longer than Snow Leopard....

18. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes it does, but there is no standard for what is the boot sequence timing?? Some people think that you should start timing from the chime, some from when you push the start button. When to stop depends on the person as well, some don't consider a computer booted until presented at their desktop (and they have auto login turned on so it somewhat makes sense) ready to go, and some feel that being presented with the log in screen is sufficient. This is why the claims of boot times are irrelevant without explanation as to when it is stopped.

If the OP times until desktop, this can make a big difference, as when the computer was new nothing existed in the start up, but now it is bloated with programs and they wonder why it now takes longer.