What I don't get about the iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RyFrizzle, Apr 11, 2010.

1. RyFrizzle macrumors newbie

What I dont get is that something as big as the ipad have the same amount of memory as the iPod Touch (64 GB). Seeing as the ipod touch is more than 5 times smaller than it... wouldnt be able to have at least something like 125 GB or will that mess up the processor or UI?

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Those things are expensive. I don't think it's about size, I think it's about cost. 128 gig and I don't think they could hit their price point.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It would mess up the UI because you're have to click around all the flash modules.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

5. RyFrizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

While I agree with the other 2 users I agree with you. Apple has been doing that with the iPod Touch/ iPhone but personally if I could Sync my iPhone into the iPad and transfer the multi media on it to iPhone and it where double the memory... I would fork out an extra 300 bucks. Would be more like a mini computer storing my collection than a tablet.

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

This is exactly the reason. Apple is all about compressing a lot into a small space while finding the sweet spot for making the most money out of a product that they can. We've seen that evolve in the iPhone and iPod Touch models. As the chips dropped in price we saw abandonment of the lower capacity and the addition of a higher capacity. 8 > 16> 32 > 64.

It's all about maximizing profit while also keeping the selling price at a point where people will buy them. Steve pushed the "$499" price as revolutionary but he gave people time to think and upsell themselves into higher priced models spending substantially more.

Eventually there will be a higher capacity but only after the flash prices drop.

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Correcto

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I mean for real... My nano has 16gb!? No reason an iPad couldn't have 128gb!
    It's clear apple uses this method to have repeat/annual buyers.
    Who do you know with one iPod. Probably not many people :)

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That would be why they didn't make it expandable with Flash cards. Fill it up, time to get another one. :)

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I agree and don't.

I've had several iPods but never just due to hd size.

It was always the new features throughout the generations. The extra hd space was just a bonus.

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Exactly. Space and throw in a new feature or two.. Latest nano, no space upgrade but hey, throw in a camera and everyone wants it!
    It's pure marketing. Nothing more.

12. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

I can't imagine being able to fill up 64 gigs of space on the iPad let alone more :eek:

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

If you get enough music and video going it's not that hard. I have 9TB of storage filled here at the house.

14. rtay macrumors regular

i dont have any problems with upgrading every year, i would rather have the new features now than have to wait for 2-3 years to get some sweet upgrades. But i bet the new iphones/ touches will have 128 gb in them. How will apple be able to explain that one? hopefully they add a 128 gb model at the same time, i would probably buy it up. Im all for it, but apple is abusing the upgrade every year thing, like leaving a camera out of the ipad, even though they are putting one in the iphone this year.

15. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Think the price of a 128gb small flash drive is a little too much than what you would like to pay if put in a device.

16. rtay macrumors regular

wow. i dont even have 500 gb filled up yet, and i thought i had alot of crap haha

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Crap is the word, and I can almost guarantee that there is plenty of crap in a 9TB collection. :rolleyes:

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

And > 99% pirated.

19. rtay macrumors regular

seriously, how could you even watch that many movies or hear that many videos. Sounds like this guy is downloading anything that comes out, probably has both twilights on it

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Snort.

Especially difficult since Flash is not allowed. :p :D

Agree, space wise.

Disagree cost wise. Apple could have easily had one with more Flash memory. However, it would come at a substantial price increase -- especially true since Flash memory is not the same as a HDD based upon Flash memory.

Next year, we will probably see 32, 64 and 128GB models. Based upon sales so far, I would expect them to be at the same price points or possibly slightly lower.

21. RyFrizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree the prices should drop because ive heard that the new iphone is supposed to be really cheap for one reason or another... Well it might not be true just look at this sites name for god sake :p

22. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

And some people have piles of newspapers filling every inch of their home. I guess with a big enough hard drive, at least you don't look crazy. ;)

Caveat- unless you work in pro video production, in which case I could understand 9TB...

23. mrklaw macrumors 65816

if you rip blurays and don't compress them, thats around 25GB a time. 40 movies = 1TB. I have about 80 movies and I'm being careful about what I buy. I can imagine others having lots more.

Then if I went back and ripped my 600+ DVD collection, that'd take up a huge amount of storage too.

24. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

this but maybe 100%lol

25. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Everything on my HD's from Shaw Brothers to Warner Brothers. I took media hoarding to a whole new level. hahahahaha Give me more space.

But seriously, I got a 64gb iPad and i didn't buy it to watch movies.