What I don't get about the mobile iTunes store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danedane5, Jul 17, 2008.

1. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

Why can't I access it when I'm using 3G, I mean you can use the App Store either way Edge, 3G, or WiFi, but why not at least 3G for iTunes? Any ideas?:confused:

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Could be as simple as the fear of bringing the providers 3G network to it's knees. It could also just as easily be that Apple doesn't want all of these (by comparison) slow connections to their servers. There's also an increased risk of a lost connection mid-purchase and the cleanup involved thereafter.

Just a few hunches.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why even use the iTunes store when you are not in a WiFi network? Just use Pandora, Tuner, or some App that does the same purpose, except you only can't buy the song.

4. MacMalv macrumors regular

it is something to do with the contract with the Music companys. They dont have a license to sell over cellular networks

5. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

Could be also that Apple does not want to share the Music Store Profit with AT&T, because we can agree the Itunes Music Store is more popular than the App Store.

6. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

True true

I bet your right about the servers, I just want my connection put here in OR to get faster ha, I can't wait to go home to AZ. Thanks for ideas! I could see the app store becoming more popular than mobile iTunes though, so far everyone loves it I can't stop downloading apps haha

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Every song is at least 3MB in size. Most of the apps are under 1MB. People buy songs way more often than apps. Opening up the iTunes floodgates would cram the 3G network with mostly unnecessary traffic. AT&T's network is still very...I guess you'd say raw. It's not in a lot of places and it probably can't hold the bandwidth that more developed ones (from what I hear England's is pretty good) can.

Due to contrary reports, the iPhone can't do everything at once.

8. atluten macrumors 6502

I think one of the other arguments is that AT&T also provides a music download service that is not linked to the mobile iTunes store. Consequently, they want a cut of the song sales if their data network is being used to download songs from a service in which they aren't receiving any revenue.

9. riyadc macrumors member

Because AT&T wants a cut from the music sales if its sold though their network (3G or EDGE).

10. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

O

I wonder how the network will be in a few months, isn't At$t upgrading their networks? I wanna go to Japan and compare speeds, lol.

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm not saying you are wrong on this, and very likely could be right. However, I don't see this as much different than someone using one of their 3G wireless cards for notebooks. You can purchase from any music store via that method and it goes over their 3G and/or EDGE networks.

12. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

Unfortunately, the Iphone is a little bit more popular than their 3g wireless cards, and Apple is Stuck with AT&T, and if Apple were to make zillions of dollars on At&T's network through Mobile Itunes, then AT&t would probably want some of that dough.