What I expect from 3.0 release version.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Mar 19, 2009.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm really liking what I'm hearing about 3.0. I'm sure everyone is. But I don't believe this is the end of it. First, I expect a number of "under the hood" changes that will improve responsiveness, performance, reduce bugs, and perhaps even improve battery life. They are still optimizing the OS so we wouldn't have heard about that yet. Plus I expect improvements to Safari - maybe not flash yet but faster rendering and browsing, particularly with Javascript. And I anticipate the potential for one or two significant UI enhancements - things like folders for the Springboard and calendar/email summary info on the lock screen.

Why do I believe this? First, the March 17 event was a developer preview. The main purpose was to get developers on board so they can prepare their software for the changes. Things that don't directly pertain to this purpose, or perhaps aren't fully baked yet, could be left out. Second, Apple is clearly aiming to compete with the Palm Pre. Pre isn't out yet. It will hit around the same time as iPhone 3.0. Seems to me Apple would want to keep a couple of tricks up their sleeve for a last-minute intro, to catch Palm off guard. Why wouldn't they?

In the end, I'm thrilled with everything I already know about 3.0, and it's more than I expected. If we don't get anything else, I will be happy.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I still want something that is basically Finder. Give me a Finder app with folders for docs, music (downloaded from other places), photos and videos (if that capability happens). I say this because I don't want to pay AT&T's jack-me tethering price and sometimes I need to type something on my MacBook Pro and send it, but I don't have a connection. Type up a text file, sync it to the Finder app, then send it over EDGE/3G. This is killer if you're a reporter and even civilized places haven't figured out the concept of WiFi yet.

3. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'd like a real file system with a Finder app, and the ability to transfer files between devices.

4. bigrash macrumors regular

I'm very dissapointed with everything I've seen with 3.0. I need a phone that can handle all the basic stuff, like doing my laundry and cooking me breakfast. Apple really sucks. The least the phone can come with is an electric shaver. Apple developers are bunch of idiots.

5. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Well with access to the Bluetooth API, do we think transfers between devices will exist?

Also, I don't know how much better battery life can get without doing hardware improvements. I want less lag when opening SMS, Notes and Mail.

bigrash, don't you want the iPhone to come with some sort of ointment?