What I Hate the Most About my Brand New MACBOOK PRO

HappyDude20

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello,

Figured I’d gripe here and see if anyone else shares the same frustration when it comes to the latest MacBook Pro. However, before I do I want to state that after owning the white plastic polycarbonate MacBook from 2006 and the MacBook Pro from 2009, I can easily say that this latest MacBook Pro is the most beautiful portable computer I’ve ever owned and seen.

It feels incredible in my hand and I thought the second generation butterfly keyboard was going to drive me insane but after using it for hours, it honestly doesn’t.

I purchased the MBP w/o the touch-bar and I have to say that I’m glad I did. It feels like this specific model is the last great portable Mac that Apple will offer and I’ve never had an interest in using the touch-bar, especially after years of seeing Apple not mention the feature at all.

But, the one thing that I absolutely hate about this latest MacBook Pro is.... THE LACK OF MAGSAFE. MagSafe was perfect in every sense of the word. I do not know how many times MagSafe saved me during my university years, or just when traveling around. Today, I have a little dog running around the house and I’m certain that it’s only a matter of time during one of her spurts of energy that she will tangle and/or trip on the USBC charging cord and cause the laptop to topple of the desk or bed or wherever. Further, I fear of damaging the usbc charging port if and when my dog pulls it by accident, even if just by a few feet.

MagSafe was PERFECT. And it’s ridiculously disrespectful that they removed it. I refuse to believe that Steve Jobs would have allowed the removal of it.

/rant.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
I'd definitely try that aftermarket Magsafe adapter if I bought a new MBP. The Magsafe on my 2015 saved me earlier this week when my cat got a bit crazy around the coffee table.

@HappyDude20 Is your MBP the one with 2 USB-C ports? If so, do you think it might be limiting not having 4 ports?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It is a shame they got rid of it. Luckily they haven't switched to a Qi mat. Think how frustrating that would be.

You could get a USB-C Magsafe adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Adapter-Connector-Quick-Charge/dp/B07MMKZ8XD/
Thank you for the link. I was beginning to look for them online but don’t know which adapter may be the best. The one you linked seems to be probably the best one.
[doublepost=1553315761][/doublepost]
I'd definitely try that aftermarket Magsafe adapter if I bought a new MBP. The Magsafe on my 2015 saved me earlier this week when my cat got a bit crazy around the coffee table.

@HappyDude20 Is your MBP the one with 2 USB-C ports? If so, do you think it might be limiting not having 4 ports?
Yes, the touch-bar-less MBP has only 2 USBC ports instead of 4. I do see this as limiting but having owned the new laptop for only a week I have not come to a real world situation where I needed more than the 2 available ports. I was considering getting an adapter that comes with extra USB ports and an HDMI opening but as of right now I have only need one USB-A port which is why I bought the Apple branded USB-C to USC-A adapter cable.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thank you for the link. I was beginning to look for them online but don’t know which adapter may be the best. The one you linked seems to be probably the best one.
It was certainly the best one that I saw. As it not only charges but allows USB pass through. Plus a good review average.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
It was certainly the best one that I saw. As it not only charges but allows USB pass through. Plus a good review average.
Do you own this particular one? Or something that you were thinking about buying? I notice that Fakespot gives it an adjusted rating of 2.5/5, so I was curious if anyone actually owned one. I would love to hear reviews of owners, since I got burned on the Griffin BreakSafe in the past.

PVDHell

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
It is a shame they got rid of it. Luckily they haven't switched to a Qi mat. Think how frustrating that would be.

You could get a USB-C Magsafe adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Adapter-Connector-Quick-Charge/dp/B07MMKZ8XD/
I’d heard there was a solution for the lack of magsafe, and honestly I haven’t felt compelled enough to go looking for it since my children and dog are all pretty chill.

But that’s actually a nice and reasonably priced, accessory. I think I’ll order one, thanks for the link.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Volta makes what looks like a nice one as well. I was looking at the Volta XL, but looking for reviews from actual owners first. I purchased that Griffin Breaksafe cable and the magnets can't even support the weight of its own cable. It makes it pretty much worthless. :)

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Volta makes what looks like a nice one as well. I was looking at the Volta XL, but looking for reviews from actual owners first. I purchased that Griffin Breaksafe cable and the magnets can't even support the weight of its own cable. It makes it pretty much worthless. :)
I "Actually" own this one;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGSS591/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using it on my 2018 MBP since day-1. No complaints.
Strong magnet.
Supports 87W. That's all the Apple charger is capable of delivering.
Slim design. Takes up less space, doesn't encroach [as much] on neighboring port.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I "Actually" own this one;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGSS591/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been using it on my 2018 MBP since day-1. No complaints.
Strong magnet.
Supports 87W. That's all the Apple charger is capable of delivering.
Slim design. Takes up less space, doesn't encroach [as much] on neighboring port.
Thanks! By not encroaching as much, does that mean you can still use both ports as long
as the head of the adjacent cable isn’t too wide?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
As a 3 year owner of a 2015 MBA I was saddened to see that my 2017 MBP did not have this wonderful feature. I knew I'd have to get USB C cables so I was prepared for it, I was not prepared for how much I'd miss MagSafe.

I was also not prepared how much I'd miss the startup chime - my wife included. We're both Wall-E fans and we both loved to restart our Macs during that part where Wall-E solar charges up to full (I know, I know, but we enjoyed it). So now I have the 4.wav file to play whenever we hit that part. :(

I also miss the see-through light-up Apple symbol.

That said, our 2017 MBP TB 13' are the best laptops we've ever owned. Going on 11 months of ownership now (wow) - the best laptop I've ever owned.

I figure things like MagSafe make me old cuz I reminisce about the good ole days. :p

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I can definitely relate to not having MagSafe anymore which does suck, however after having USB C as the main charger its honestly better once you get used to it. Not only do you not have to buy Apple's proprietary charge cable, you can now charge from any port on your MacBook. If your that dead set on having MagSafe though, I would recommend looking for an Aftermarket USB C Magnetic adaptor. There is plenty of them out there. Best of luck!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

HappyDude20

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I can definitely relate to not having MagSafe anymore which does suck, however after having USB C as the main charger its honestly better once you get used to it. Not only do you not have to buy Apple's proprietary charge cable, you can now charge from any port on your MacBook. If your that dead set on having MagSafe though, I would recommend looking for an Aftermarket USB C Magnetic adaptor. There is plenty of them out there. Best of luck!
Funny enough, now that I have this new MBP I noticed I purposely wanted to purchase the Apple branded USB-C to USB-A adapter instead of an off brand version because I never want to be caught in a situation where I need to plug something in and the adapter doesn’t end up supporting any particular external device, whether it be an external USB subwoofer, external HDD, external SSD, or whatever external device I may own in the coming months and years.

My local Dollar Tree store sells USB-C cables that are the cheapest and flimsiest I’ve ever seen. I doubt they’re capable of fast charging or even handling a transfer load of even half a gig at normal speeds. I remember reading that not all USB-C cables are made the same and I would hate being in a situation where I need to plug in some external device to my MBP (say during an important business sales pitch meeting), and it not connecting. With my old 2009 MBP I would always purchase the Best Buy brand of cables called Insignia, but now I’m noticing I’m going strictly the Apple route.

It does piss me off when I see I paid $20 for a cable that most likely cost Apple pennies to make.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Funny enough, now that I have this new MBP I noticed I purposely wanted to purchase the Apple branded USB-C to USB-A adapter instead of an off brand version because I never want to be caught in a situation where I need to plug something in and the adapter doesn’t end up supporting any particular external device, whether it be an external USB subwoofer, external HDD, external SSD, or whatever external device I may own in the coming months and years.

My local Dollar Tree store sells USB-C cables that are the cheapest and flimsiest I’ve ever seen. I doubt they’re capable of fast charging or even handling a transfer load of even half a gig at normal speeds. I remember reading that not all USB-C cables are made the same and I would hate being in a situation where I need to plug in some external device to my MBP (say during an important business sales pitch meeting), and it not connecting. With my old 2009 MBP I would always purchase the Best Buy brand of cables called Insignia, but now I’m noticing I’m going strictly the Apple route.

It does piss me off when I see I paid $20 for a cable that most likely cost Apple pennies to make.
It may piss you off but you still paid the price right? ;)

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
MagSafe saved one of our laptops just the other week. Magsafe was one of the insanely great and perfect inventions that once defined Apple. You didn’t know you needed it. Once you had it you couldn’t live without it. I think the Apple of today would eliminate the CPU and make the Mac a piece on functionless art if they thought it would look prettier and sell better.