What I like about computers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Feb 21, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

compared to my other gadget hobbies is that they are very maintenance free (even windows) in comparison to my other hobbies dealing with bikes, motorcycles, and cars

I say this as more and more issues arise with my car and found one with my motorcycle:mad: ugh

anyone agree? lol

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I personally love working on my CBR600RR, it's good to get out of the house or at least work in the garage. The computer is really a lot of waiting around for me and I'm not much of a "waiting" person

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Affirmative. The steel in my garage requires constant maintenance, lubricating, sharpening, cleaning etc...

Other hobbies are only slightly less maintenance. But still fun.:)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I rather like optional maintenance. I like defragging my Windows partition only to come back a couple of hours later to faster performance, or running repair disks or YASU on the OSX side.
    Then again I like vacuuming and dusting too :eek:.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'd much rather wrench the bike than swap drives anymore. It's more soothing and fulfilling. Having so many "hobbies" over the decades, and being in the whole PC thing since the DIY days (pre-Apple I), it's no longer a fun thing in & of itself, it's just another appliance that I use because I have to, like a telephone or fax machine.

My bike, my guns, even my ever-dying garden are more enjoyable because I choose to muck about with them, or not.

What I don't like about computers are the people that have turned them into some sort of religion.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I do like working on my car/bike for convenience/fun mods

I do not like having them develop problems on me at random times lol

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

but but but... random problems are fun! like the last time 2 of my 8 fuel injectors on my bike started leaking... talk about being drenched in gasoline for 3 hours trying to figure out why it was leaking

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Seriously... if computers did this it would drive you crazy. :D [/sarcasm]

I know what you mean, but I think a fair share of computer users would differ in opinion regarding the development of random problems. Consider yourself lucky that your computers have been stable and problem free. I know I do.

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I like computers because a computer is like a human brain. There are a number of different parts with different functions, controlling different aspects, but each part is equally important, because each part is needed to create a fully functioning unit. When I open up my computer and mess around with it, clean it, upgrade it, etc, I feel like I am a robot surgeon! :cool:

10. acurafan macrumors 6502a

my acuras and honda lawn mower and generator are relatively maintenance-free. (have gas, will travel) :D

11. ethical macrumors 68000

One of the things that adds to my love of mountain biking is having to maintain my bike! I love sitting outside in the sun, tweaking this, and fixing that. It's great!

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Obviously, nobody likes random problems, whether they occur on our computers or cars, bikes, etc. I do a regular maintenance on my Mac now and then, but it seems to run just fine even without me doing much. At the same time, I really enjoy seeing a well-maintained piece of machinery on the road. It gives me a good feeling to be on the road and knowing that my vehicle is mechanically sound and is also nice to look at.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For me, maintenance is keeping up to date with the latest and greatest so I can avoid any maintenance. Well, I don't count backup as a maintenance task but regular backups in addition to applying updates is really all the maintenance I do--or care to do. And that is a big reason I spend so much time on my Mac. For getting out of the house I run, or work out in the yard, or do other non-computer stuff. So when it comes time to be at my computer desk, I don't expect to have to figure out what is not working properly.

Really, the biggest problem I seem to have is with Internet connectivity--and that has nothing to do with anything inside my house--but always requires me to work with Road Runner Tech support as if the problem is with me. Just had to do that last week and spent an hour on the phone with them and of course the problem was with their network.