What I like about Quicken Essentials

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AJsAWiz, Mar 5, 2010.

1. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I realize that there are some who absolutely do not like the new Mac Quicken Essentials. My first impression upon installing and using this software was not a positive one. I spent way too much time comparing it to Quicken 2006 instead of accepting the fact that this is not a new version of the old Quicken but a re designed program from the ground up. After spending some time reading the Getting Started Guide, chatting online with Intuit to help me over some rough spots and really using it, I'm beginning to embrace the differences between Quicken 2006 and Essentials.
    I think that Essentials is graphically pleasing. Once I got used to it I even liked the interface and features. I really like the flexibility and was able to customize it to fit my own needs. Soon, I expect, I'll be able to remove my training wheels (Quicken 2006 installed) and just fly with Essentials solo :D There's a lot to like about this, often misunderstood I think, offering from Intuit. So, I decided to start a new thread for anyone who has anything positive to relate about Quicken Essentials.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Thanks AJsAWiz, it's nice to hear a positive review on Quicken Essentials. I'm still using 2007 on a G4 iMac so I can't upgrade now as it's Intel only. I'm not a power user, so if I ever get a new Mac I'll probably consider it since it sounds like it'll meet my needs. Looking forward to other positive comments to be posted in this thread.

3. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Crickets

Wow, this thread didn't exactly pick up any steam. One positive post followed by a guy who can't use the program yet. I'm a Quicken 2007 user and I only find that program so so. Mint does a better job of syncing and preparing a budget, but I'm a little uncomfortable working totally on a web based application. So I'm thinking of upgrading to Quicken Essentials. I'm sure it will do all I really want to do (consolidate information so I can run reports showing income and expenses, prepare a budget, and total net worth, I don't need bill paying or anything too detailed as far as investments). But the awful reviews make me not want to send Intuit my money just out of principle. Of course if I start using Mint, they will get some money from me anyway.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just look at the other QE thread - its all negative and people are requesting their refunds in mass it seems.

The thing is as a mac user you're paying more for a product that has less features then its window's sibling. People waited in excess of 2+ years for something that does less then their older version of quicken? Makes no sense.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Since I posted the above comment, I've read some of the other threads/review (here and elsewhere) and now I don't think that I'd bother with Quicken Essentials. 2007 does everything I need and outside of a couple of minor quibbles I don't have any problems with it. I imagine someday I'll have to switch to something else, but in the foreseeable future (as long as there's Rosetta) I think I'll keep using 2007.

6. mongrol macrumors regular

Unlike comic sans.

7. wt123 macrumors newbie

Are You Kidding Me?

The QE upgrade does not permit file passwords and we just found out that our bank, one of the largest in the country, does not accept QE file downloading, only earlier versions of Quicken. How can that be after 3 years of waiting? We have reverted to an earlier version, which works just fine. What a ripoff!

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

If Mint could show me a day-by-day balance forecast for the next 45 days, I'd use it. I haven't found any online tool that can do that.

I like Quicken Essentials. I have pretty basic needs, and it has exactly the features that I need to manage my checking, savings, credit card and loan accounts. It downloads fine from all of my providers.

I can definitely understand why there is an uproar. For what it does, I think that it's way overpriced.

I think Intuit should have kept selling the old 2007 version as the "Quicken complete" (or as complete as it's ever been on the Mac), and sold this as "Quicken Light" -- for $29 or $39.

No doubt that they'll add more features into the next versions of Quicken Essentials, building it back up (much like iMovie 6). It's a shame that they dropped the ball, apparently years ago, with the slow Mac development. Nothing but time is going to fix that mistake.

9. hakr macrumors regular

What could be better than a personal financial manager that can't print checks? :D

10. mongrol macrumors regular

A national banking system that doesn't require it's populace to use a decades old system for transferring money. I haven't had a chequebook (spelling) for over years and can't remember the last time I even seen someone use one.

11. hakr macrumors regular

Ahh, well, I still do business with some tradesmen who do not accept plastic. In fact, I had an electrician handle a few chores for me today, and I didn't have the amount of cash he wanted in my wallet. I've paid him by check before and I did again.

Hmmm. The guy who plows my driveway in the winter doesn't take plastic, either, and neither does our landscaper.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you have a printer dedicated to checks? Seems like for occasional contractor use, it'd be quicker to write a check than print one out? :D

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

touche' :)