What I need for maximal Gameplay fun :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meetster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Meetster macrumors member

Okay I searched a little in other threads and finally I didn't found the REAL answer. One is saying A the other saying B so I'm little confused now.

I want to play decent Games on my MBP 2011 15" 2.2GHz.

I downloaded so far Battlefield Bad Company 2 and H.A.W.X.

I run both under OSX with CIDER. well now HAWX has some minor lags when video sequences pop up, and BF is laggy as hell on mid-high settings :S

1. So until now I need to now what to use programm for overclocking the GPU!
    2. better to run Games on Windows via Bootcamp or playing on OSX with CIDER
    3. Is an upgrade to 8GB essential or not for optimal gameplay?

greets :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Only possible in Windows.

2. Much, much better under Windows. Cider ports are usually not official so there can be a lot problem. Plus, ported games always run worse. Windows will also give you the option of OCing the GPU, and better drivers.

3. Most games are 32-bit so they can't use more than 4GB of RAM.

3. Proph3T macrumors member

definitely don't use cider for those games. I can get pretty good FPS on Mid in BF:BC2 haven't ran tons of fps testing yet but I can promise you bootcamp will get you much much much better performance

4. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

Okay so I will install Windows 7 ultimnate 64-bit on my machine so it will also support 8gb of RAM :)

which programm you use for overclocking your GPU under Windows?

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

If you have to ask skip it for now and test the performance without overclocking first.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MSI Afterburner is pretty good.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

your games will perform fine under windows, cinder wrapped games have crappy graphics

8. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

well i did alot of overclocking on Dell's, HP's and even alienware :) but never did it on a Mac, didn't new that you can use the same tools :) it's my first mac ^^

ok thx for the info :)

well i wanted to avoid installing Windows, that's why i played CIDER wrapped gaems, but now i will install Win7 over bootcamp since i really love to play games from time to time :)

9. Proph3T macrumors member

I've really never bothered to overclock. Didn't want to burn up my Mac for a few more fps. Well and I have a gaming desktop so my mac isn't used for games often anyways.

10. Meetster thread starter macrumors member

well i dont want to buy a gamer pc for that few games i play ^^ i play 2-3h a week XD

11. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi buddy,i game a fair bit in win 7 bcamp,there are heaps of tweaks u can do to win 7 to improve performance,like in the registry and services etc,ive been searching for mnths all the tweaks,got my system running quite well,do a search for von dasch,that guy has em all,hes on steam forums,ive used quite a few hes suggested,and they work.