Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
What part of iOS 6 did they find so amazing or let alone exciting?

It was basically the same operating system Apple have released since the original. The same old lockscreen (unbelievably) was still there, as were the same icons with a few tweaks. How people did not get bored of that theme after almost 7 years is astounding to me.

iOS 7 is new, fresh, exciting and above all, it works fine. The little things like the exaggerated neon green, lack of cover flow and some lack of calendar functionality are nothing to get in a twist over.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
iOS7 looks more modern, but iOS6 had WAY better battery life, and for that alone it is the winner.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world

It was basically the same operating system Apple have released since the original. The same old lockscreen (unbelievably) was still there, as were the same icons with a few tweaks. How people did not get bored of that theme after almost 7 years is astounding to me.

iOS 7 is new, fresh, exciting and above all, it works fine. The little things like the exaggerated neon green, lack of cover flow and some lack of calendar functionality are nothing to get in a twist over.

What do you find "exciting" about it? I don't understand how anyone could think it's exciting. It's all fluffy colored and flat.

Personally I liked the icons that looked more 3d. Same thing with the other buttons. At least you knew they were buttons. There are too many places where the text is clickable but you can't tell because it's just text. And not all text is clickable. So you just have to search for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

You assume that everyone is prefering functionality over design. I do want my version of iOS to function and iOS 6 does that perfectly fine. But I do not care for the Fisher-Price, PlaySkool look of iOS 7.

Had Apple allowed a dark look to iOS 7 like you can achieve applying a theme after jailbreaking iOS 7 I'd be more inclined to like iOS 7.

But as it is now, I have everything iOS 7 has on iOS 6 via app or jailbreak and my phone is set up exactly the way I want it with no annoying iOS 7 colors.

There has yet to be any compelling reason to move me over. My phone functions and has great battery life and (to me) looks great.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My OS does not need to be fresh, new and exciting. There was nothing wrong with iOS 6, it worked fine. And a lot of changes in iOS 7 made things harder to see and use. Most of the stock iOS apps are now such a mess, I use them a lot less than I used to under iOS 6. I have iOS 7, since I have an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air, but when I pick up my iPad 3, it's so much easier on my eyes!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
IOS 6 was very cartoonish, imo. I like the look and feel of IOS 7 much, much better. It's more in tune with the way operating systems should look in 2014. In addition, IOS 6 had it's share of issues as well. I remember complaining how an IOS 6 update killed my battery life on my ipad.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
I think iOS 6 was both hideous and beautiful at the same time. iOS 7 is just beautiful. I'm a fan of both. But the iPhone 5s and 5c would be garbage running iOS 6

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Music app

What I miss the most about iOS 6 was the far more superior stock music app. I can't believe how bad Apple ****ed up the music app in iOS 7. Hopefully the music player in iOS 8 will be a substantial improvement.

While iOS 6 had better looking icons, easy-to-identify buttons, better battery/performance and more legible text, the music app is what I miss the most and if I could go back to iOS 6, I would it do it just for that.

----------

I think the VAST majority are fine with iOS7.:rolleyes:

There will always be the unhappy!:p

Vast majority?

I'm pretty sure it's more like 50/50. Most people I know either hate it or are indifferent about but still have some complaints about it. I yet to meet somebody in person that absolutely loves it.

Those adoption rates do not equal satisfaction.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
You assume that everyone is prefering functionality over design. I do want my version of iOS to function and iOS 6 does that perfectly fine. But I do not care for the Fisher-Price, PlaySkool look of iOS 7.

Had Apple allowed a dark look to iOS 7 like you can achieve applying a theme after jailbreaking iOS 7 I'd be more inclined to like iOS 7.

But as it is now, I have everything iOS 7 has on iOS 6 via app or jailbreak and my phone is set up exactly the way I want it with no annoying iOS 7 colors.

There has yet to be any compelling reason to move me over. My phone functions and has great battery life and (to me) looks great.

The whole Fisher Price/PlaySkool comparison is as childish as the products those very companies produce.

It's an absolutely woeful comparison, possibly the most cringe worthy thing an adult can post on this forum.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I dont think most iOS 7 haters realize that the "look" of their entire device now depends on their wallpaper. "Candy colored, "neon" etc are common complaints I've heard and read. Besides the Music.app icon, the rest of the stock icons are pretty standard. If you have a colorful and bright wallpaper, the whole "feel" of the phone becomes colorful and bright due to all the transparency. Want a more professional look? Find a darker, more subdued wallpaper.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The whole Fisher Price/PlaySkool comparison is as childish as the products those very companies produce.

It's an absolutely woeful comparison, possibly the most cringe worthy thing an adult can post on this forum.
Yeah, whatever. It's my opinion. If that places me in the childish category to you, so be it.

I did not buy, nor do I use my iPhone 5 based on what you think of me.

----------

I dont think most iOS 7 haters realize that the "look" of their entire device now depends on their wallpaper. "Candy colored, "neon" etc are common complaints I've heard and read. Besides the Music.app icon, the rest of the stock icons are pretty standard. If you have a colorful and bright wallpaper, the whole "feel" of the phone becomes colorful and bright due to all the transparency. Want a more professional look? Find a darker, more subdued wallpaper.
You can get as dark a wallpaper as you want, but I still don't think you can get this without a jailbreak.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, whatever. It's my opinion. If that places me in the childish category to you, so be it.

I did not buy, no do I use my iPhone 5 based on what you think of me.

----------

You can get as dark a wallpaper as you want, but I still don't think you can get this without a jailbreak.

now we're complaining about the setting screen? yeeshhh

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
now we're complaining about the setting screen? yeeshhh
No we are complaining about colors overall. You state that if I have darker wallpaper in iOS 7 I get a a darker overall look.

But I won't get black or "nightmode" in iOS 7, even if my wallpaper is solid black. Eclipse is a theme which stylizes the entire OS, not just the settings. The picture is merely representative of the whole.

And yes, I cannot do this with iOS 6 without being jailbroken either. But the difference for me is that iOS 6 is easier to look at than iOS 7 when both are stock.

This is all subjective and the fact that I dislike iOS 7 is my own personal opinion. It doesn't make the choice of others to choose iOS 7 invalid. I am merely stating my outlook on the matter, nothing more.

P.S. This thread was originally in the iPhone forum. It got moved to the iOS 7 forum. Is it any wonder that most of the respondents prefer iOS 7? :D

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Vast majority?

I'm pretty sure it's more like 50/50. Most people I know either hate it or are indifferent about but still have some complaints about it. I yet to meet somebody in person that absolutely loves it.

Those adoption rates do not equal satisfaction.

More like 74/26. I'm so glad I made this poll, haha

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1702617/

----------

But really, some of the visuals in iOS 6 looked like cheap plastic toys. iOS 7 is clean and modern.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
iOS 6's UI was, so dated. I like the bright colors on ios7, but aren't a fan of the parallax and zoom in features when clicking on folders.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does it matter who likes it or doesn't and why? People have their own personal choices and decisions about their personal devices, why should any of that matter to someone else?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
iOS 6's UI was, so dated. I like the bright colors on ios7, but aren't a fan of the parallax and zoom in features when clicking on folders.

The parallax and zooming in can be disabled in the Accessibility settings.

As for bright colors -- not necessarily my favorite thing, but I can live with them. But things like the control icons and text in Notes app being bright yellow on white -- that just makes things needlessly hard to see.

Overall, I've gotten used to iOS 7, but like I said before, whenever I go back to iOS 6, it's just so much more easier to see!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Its the skeumorphism that I miss personally. I use both my iPhone 5 on iOS6 and 5s on iOS 7. On iOS 6, I get the look and feel of glass (which I personally like), it looks like Im looking into a screen of high details and graphics. With iOS7, it feels more like Im touching paper. I dont feel that "through the glass" that I enjoyed with iOS6.

My dislikes of iOS 7 are also in the color choices. 25% of what I hated with iOS7 went away once I changed the wallpaper alone. The overuse of white is just obnoxious, and the back buttons as words alone just doesnt look right. Ive changed both the contrast settings and button shapes; it makes it bearable, but not comparable to what it was.

"How people did not get bored of that theme after almost 7 years is astounding to me." This is what I dont get. I dont get bored with my grandmother because she hasnt changed her appearance in 20 years. Anyway, one of my personal reasons for iOS > android was because of the appearance of skeumorphism. Granted android had theming, but it was just bad. I personally never complained because I loved the OS; 'if it aint broke, why fix it?' is my look on it.

Thats just my opinion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.