What I noticed about my iPhone...

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
No new news.. but wanted to see how others' iPhones are behaving.

I noticed if I use my phone intermittently, it eats very little batt power every so often... duh.. to be expected... and the phone has great standby time. I can, with light use, get 5 hours of usage and a day and a half of standby before hitting the 20% mark.

Now, if I sit on the bathroom toilet and surf the web or check email every 3 minutes, I run out of juice faster than you can say the word "iPhone." I end up running down to 20% just after 15-16 hours of standby time and 3-3.5 hours of usage time.

People get similar behavior?

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
No new news.. but wanted to see how others' iPhones are behaving.

I noticed if I use my phone intermittently, it eats very little batt power every so often... duh.. to be expected... and the phone has great standby time. I can, with light use, get 5 hours of usage and a day and a half of standby before hitting the 20% mark.

Now, if I sit on the bathroom toilet and surf the web or check email every 3 minutes, I run out of juice faster than you can say the word "iPhone." I end up running down to 20% just after 15-16 hours of standby time and 3-3.5 hours of usage time.

People get similar behavior?
The iPhone is highly intolerant of "Potty Surfage".

Comment

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I have noticed that heavy usage non-stop seems to limit the amount of use I can get on a full charge. The Bluetooth earbud seems to react the same way.

Comment

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I found that battery time on 1.1.1 seems worse than 1.0.2. On the first, I could go for 2 days, and never see a low batt warning. I upped yesterday to 1.1.1, and took the iPhone off the cradle at 3 PM. By 7 PM, I was at 30-40% left... and I only listen to the iPod for about an hour.

For that and a couple other reasons, I jumped back to 1.0.2 temporarily.

Comment

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ
Frequent intermittent use definitely hits the battery harder than longer, single sessions.

Sadly my battery is much worse with 1.1.1 than 1.0.2 :-(, now I'm charging daily rather than every other.

Comment

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I found that battery time on 1.1.1 seems worse than 1.0.2. On the first, I could go for 2 days, and never see a low batt warning. I upped yesterday to 1.1.1, and took the iPhone off the cradle at 3 PM. By 7 PM, I was at 30-40% left... and I only listen to the iPod for about an hour.

For that and a couple other reasons, I jumped back to 1.0.2 temporarily.
I'm not so sure it is the battery that is the problem after the upgrade. My feeling is that the battery indicator and timers now may have more accurate parameters. (or less accurate?)

Comment

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
If you are sitting on the toilet for 3-3.5 hrs, battery life is the LEAST of your problems!:)

Comment

Lartymarf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

ksmith80209 said:
If you are sitting on the toilet for 3-3.5 hrs, battery life is the LEAST of your problems!:)
I know. I tend to run into bandwidth issues.

Comment

~Phi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
chicago
My battery tends to behave simmilar to that of the OP.

Also, I've noticed that my battery seems to last much longer if constantly connected via wifi as opposed to edge.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.