What I think AAPL will do with iPhone 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SolarShane, Apr 4, 2014.

1. SolarShane macrumors 6502

Three sizes, in line with what other brands are doing.

iPhone Mini: 4" (Replaces the "C" variant)
    iPhone Air: 4.7" (Replaces the non-C variant)
    iPhone Max: 5.5"

With the larger ones having a resolution of 2048x1536. This is why Apple has been waiting for so long. They've been letting the others pay off R&D of the higher resolution screens.

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Your guess is as good as mine, but there have indeed been rumors that the 5C is on the way out, not to be replaced by an updated polycarbonate version of that colorful 'mid-tier' iPhone, so you may be right about that part of your hypothesis…..lol

3. Serban Suspended

yes but i still think that a 4" is being made along with the iphone 6 4.7"

4. Serban Suspended

I really hope that 4.7" iphone 6 will come in the same height and width as Motorola Moto X

5. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

Sadly that doesn't seem likely. The iPhone has a home button and has symmetrical top and bottom bezels. Just imagine the Moto X with room voor a home button underneath and above the screen. So the 4.7" version will definitely be taller than the Moto X.

6. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I think we will not see a new 4'' iPhone this year. They will just keep the 5s for the 4'' iPhone.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

For guess for the line-up:

5C->$0/$449
    5S->$99/$549
    6->$199/$649 (with larger screen)

I don't believe they will do a plastic 5S nor do I think a phablet is coming this year. I also do not believe they will continue the 4" screen size other than older models on their way out.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The motto X has a bit of extra Bezel on the top so move the screen up a little and you could fit the home button. Not sure if they would be symmetrical but if not i would hope apple would care more about the dimensions rather than the top and bottom lining up.

9. Xeyad macrumors 6502

While I wrote this in another post, but here's my prediction for the 2014 iPhone line-up:

- iPhone 5c for $0/$450 off contract: This is the price drop the 5c needs. For FREE, the iPhone 5c makes a lot of sense. It's an excellent phone with a very capable chip, 4" display, LTE, and a decent camera. With its bright colors and durable build, it makes a lot of sense for teens who're looking for a new iPhone on the cheap, and a much better value and durability than the 4S currently. Apple may update the colors, as it used to do with iPods, to regain some excitement for the 5c. A black one would be awesome. :apple:

- iPhone 5s for $99/$549 off contract: I believe the 5s will simply drop down to the mid-tier level instead of putting the internals on a plastic design. The 5s is a much more mature product than the iPhone 5, so it makes sense to keep it and keep its beautiful design, while lowering it down for the new iPhone.

- iPhone 6/Air for $199/$649 off contract: While we're still not sure what Apple will call it, this is the iPhone that most of us have been waiting for. Finally with a modernly-sized display at 4.7" - 5.0", inside a body that's only slightly larger than the current 5s. Based on the rumors and leaks, the display will truly be edge-to-edge with no side bezels. The design will probably be based off the iPad Air, and it'll be crazy thin. Other enhancements will surely include camera and processor. I'm not expecting much more else, as the focus this year will probably be display size!

- iPhone 6L/Pro for $299/$749 off contract: A phablet-like iPhone still isn't sure for this year and no concrete evidence shows a 5.5"+ iPhone, I'm still taking this with a grain of salt. However, if they are making a big iPhone, I'm adamant this iPhone will be an extension to the lineup, rather than a replacement. As with all Apple products, the bigger one is always the better one, as they do with bigger Macs and iPad Air. I'm betting if we'll ever see a big iPhone, it'll be a very premium product that's priced higher than most phones in its class, so a $299/$749 price is likely I think. Apple thrives in the premium business, and this will be a dream for many iPhone buyers who wanted something like a Galaxy Note made by Apple and are willing to pay the extra.

I think 2014 will probably be one of the most important years for iPhone. Remember this: iPhone alone makes 50% of Apple's total revenue. The current line-up is weak for something that generates half of the company's money, and I'm sure Apple knows this, so they'll probably pump it up.

10. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I dont think they would release two flagship iphones, just not apple style. But i guess a big screen isnt either but who knows.

11. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I don't see apple keep going with the 5S.. it will be pricey to continue it for another year. instead they can go with an improved version of 5C. you can call it iPhone mini if they decide to make the screen larger this year.

12. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'm hoping that the new iPhone will have the same aspect ratio as the iPads and that the new iPhone will be able to work in landscape for all apps the same way the iPad does. Even the home screen should work in landscape.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Just a question- why the comment that the 5C is more suitable for teens? Kinda biased don't you think? The number of adult men and women I see in London with a 5C is just as much as the other iPhones. I would have enjoyed your post were it not for this comment.

14. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

That's completely wrong... The iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina are almost identical!

15. theromz macrumors regular

I see 3 phones being released this year;

iPhone 5sC or something similar - iPhone 5S internals but without touchID inside the 5C body. $99 position.

iPhone 6 - 4.7" Flagship device - $200

iPhone 6L or w/e - 5.5" Phablet device - same internals as the 6 expect touchID and maybe true tone flash - $200. Released at a later date.

Reuse the 5C as the $0 device.

16. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Only things I think are certain to happen are a bigger screen and redesign.

So glad that I am on this release cycle, can't wait to upgrade to an iPhone 6 on launch day!

Glad I'm not on the S cycle

17. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

I'm on both cycles!

18. Xeyad macrumors 6502

In the marketing world, every product every company makes has a "target market." The target market is what the company imagines the product is targeted for a specific type of consumer. As with the case of the iPhone 5c, with its very bright plastic colors with color matching cases and a more affordable price than Apple's usual flagship, Apple is targeting the 5c to a younger audience who want a colorful device with 'mix-and-match' cases, yet with adequate specs, for $100 less than the 5s. Does it mean that it's wrong for adults or even business-type people to buy the 5c? Absolutely not. It means that whoever buys this phone wants something that shows off some personality when holding this phone on a daily-basis, and that's absolutely awesome! So hats off to people in London who are willing to get the colorful 5c. ;)

19. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I can't wait until the bigger screen. The iPhone 5 screen seems so small now.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Don't you mean 2272x1280? That would be pixel-doubled version of what it is today. It would also compete with the 2K screens (2560x1440) coming to Android.