What I Think Apple did with the Touch Upate!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think they released this update that "fixed" people's bad iPods so that people would not bring them back. It helps Apple more this way so they don't have to accept many returns. This will keep the consumers happy with their purchase even though it's just a patch fix to make the user think their iPod is fixed when really the software is just compensated for the hardware fault. I still think it's a hardware issue and the fix is only a software workaround.

I got a perfect iPod right out of the box so the faulty screen issue doesn't pertain to me but, I bet this is what Apple did. Any thoughts? Do you think Apple is just making us THINK our iPods are fixed?

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

OR

there is no hardware fault. They fixed the firmware problem.

Just another thought.

3. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

+1

Why does there always have to be a conspiracy theory?

4. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

it broke my ipod touch
    had to do a restore:mad:
    at least I found out how to do a force reboot of the iPod touch. :D

5. lionsnwings macrumors newbie

I think it is unlikely that Apple was able to "fix" a hardware problem between weeks 37 and 38. And that doesn't count for the 1/2 of the week 37's that are fine.
    On top of that, I would guess that Apple had more then a week's supply of them before they started shipping.
    I got mine two weeks ago tomorrow, week 36 and had the negative black issue. Software fixed about 90% of it. Good enough for me.
    I do hve a couple stuck pixels that I am not trying to fix.

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I think you're totally right. It's a gamma patch to compensate for incorrect LCD/anti-reflective. The very fact that some guy here could Photoshop things extra-washed-out & have them show up OK demonstrates that a software crutch can attempt to compensate for hardware issues.

Me, I wonder what it'll do over the lifetime of the device, and would prefer good hardware.

7. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I completely agree too. Although it did fix my negative black pretty well, now all my pictures look very very grainy. I'm guessing they just upped the contrast. I'll still be taking mine back.