what i think is behind this "sub-notebook"thing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 14, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ok, if you think about it, there have been rumors on the newton pda coming back, and a tablet coming out. there have also been rumors on an ultra portable laptop, using NAND based flash memory. technically, thats practically impossible to have a reasonable amount of space using a flash drive for a computer, there for it should be an ultra portable device, as it is, thinking about that, tablets do use hds, but pdas dont, they use flash, so what im thinking, i may be wrong, this ultra portable laptop thing, is going to be the ole famous newton, in a laptop form, and instead, being a tablet. who agrees? i think it sounds reasonable:rolleyes:

update:
    i also think that it would have its own operating system, like nothing like leopard, but something pretty advanced

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think Apple would rather use a thin OS X client, than the newton OS.

Return of a modern day eBook would do quite well with a full Intel CPU and a slimmed down version of unix.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think you shouldn't worry about how much internal flash memory there is. Ultraportables were never designed to be someone's primary machine. The idea is that it compliments another machine you have; it provides the portability you lose with a powerful machine. You don't need to be carrying a 40GB iTunes library everywhere you go.

I could very easily live with 30GB of internal flash memory, and I consider myself to be more of a 'power user' than the average person.

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

no, i didnt say it would have the newton OS, just a cut down leopard, like it has leopard looks and stuff, but more basic. not exactly an ebook, a laptop, thats ultra thin, that has basic computing abilities, but not as basic as in windows mobile basic, like taking off the advanced features of leopard, and have a keyboard, and the strange mouse pad thing? may be a new way of navigation, i dont know, im taking guesses here

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

This is what it is:

The 'tablet' stuff is true. Jobs himself said they were researching it, however, it isn't coming out any time soon.

The 13.3" Pro notebook is true. Not ultraportable, just an Apple version of the Dell m1330.

THE END.

6. hong kong guy macrumors newbie

I think the ultra-portable notebook, might looks like Asus Eee PC.

4G Flash drive, not enough 4 me , i would get a 13"macbook instead........

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Thank you, I doubt there will be a tablet, just another lost project.

I still think it's gunna be a bit difficult for apple to pull off a 13.3" Pro notebook

Maybe a top of the line macbook, but not a low end macbook pro

I can't really see professional photographers going nuts over a 1200 x 800 screen...

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Welcome to 2003; Apple introduced a 12" Pro notebook almost half a decade ago. :^)

See above. Been there, done that.

Some do. And it's easy to argue that a "professional" photographer wouldn't use *any* laptop for work. Either way, plenty of professionals (whatever those are) used the 12" when it came out, and a good deal of them are still in use. People here keep trying to wish the 13" MBP into the MB camp so they'll be able to afford one come January, but that's all it is--wishful thinking. An aluminum 13" laptop from Apple will *not* go in the consumer line, no matter how many people on MacRumors post otherwise.

9. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

and furthermore, why does nobody suggest it will be a macbook nano?

I guess this scenario would only apply if it was in the consumer family. If they really want to sell it they are going to give it a unique name.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

No, it wont be like the EEEPC.

It'll be like the MacBook Pro, only smaller. Like the 12" PowerBook that people seem to have forgotten about. It was very expensive compared to the iBook, but it was worth it.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

nice site, love how it says coming soon in the new site, had to enter the old one

12. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

From what I've seen, alot of photogs who use field laptops just use them for review. Rarely will you see a pro photog using a laptop for finished products, just rough cuts.

In any case, I can't understand Apple not creating a pro 13" notebook, there are certainly enough people out there who are dying to replace their 12" PBs. I'd buy a 12" PB myself if there was some possible way to shoehorn an intel processor in it.;)